Solidprofessor

Has anyone used Solidprofessor and is it any good? Where can I get it cheap ?

Reply to
Zippydo

Is it just me? Are these weekly questions about Solidprofessor just ways to get the "word" out?

Reply to
Mr. Pickles

Reply to
Sporkman

I beg your pardon ! "Pinhead" ? Don't throw stones in glass houses! I don't know if it's worth getting Solidprofessor. Since you are the expert, tell me everything you know......which is a shorter list then the things you do know.

Sporkman wrote:

Reply to
Zippydo

yeah its just you...conspiracy theories!

btw following along the traditions of having actors in the White House I heard GWB was actually Maxwell Smart making a comeback, and Rumsfeld was the Penguin in Batman...is that true?...hard to know whets real these days...guess someone will set up a website soon. : )

Reply to
neil

I'm still waiting for Spork to share a spork.sldprt! 8^)

Zip, the reason people are responding that way is because there have been a few questions about it and also, if other people have noticed, on the internet, it's being marketed pretty aggressively! IMHO, that in your face marketing is a major turn off and I'm with the others in questioning who you are or if this company is using this forum as "another" marketing channel!?

Personally, I think it's funny. SW is one of the easiest solid modelers to use and the help system is pretty good and the resources for getting help are also very good... yet, another teaching tool is needed for helping those users in need of more help?? That says a lot of things!! ...the imagination can conclude so many things.. I think most of the users who buy this are managers, because they can do it in private so their subordinates do not know they are idiots!! It's true! Otherwise, the old, loyal and brainwashed autocad users who are finally getting a clue that autocrap and MDT sucks!! Again, too hide away doing their training in private. Or, companies who are really pulling the belt tight on training! For you in that position,.. your company is CHEAP!! And, I'd suggest that the least that they do is get the fastest freaking AMD system and professional graphics card they can afford to reward you for being tolerant!!

And, lastly, probably the users which have the cracked versions of SW? (whatever your excuses, get a legal version if you are profiting from it)

.. ;^)

Zippydo wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I don't think it is fair to degrade those who ask legitimate questions. SolidWorks help is as you said pretty good, but there are a few topics that are poorly documented and illustrated.

There are many ways to learn and training offsite from all the distractions of work is as good as any. Maybe even more effective, it lets a person figure things out at their own pace.

I recently took a job that required AutoCAD after not having really used it for the past 4-5 years. Painful, however it also reminded me why I made the jump to solid modeling and who signs the pay checks. Unfortunately, there are an awful lot of individuals out there who still do not feel solid modeling provides a return on their investment.

Seems like many small to midsized companies have all but given up on training expenditures. Meanwhile, corporate funding for the Ken Lay's of the world continues to increase.

Reply to
Kman

Reply to
Zippydo

Personally, I think it's a bug in "The Matrix"

M.T.

Reply to
Malcolm_Tempt

Not yet a SWX user but I did the 'Essentials' training & was suitably impressed. I am also impressed by the SolidProfessor ethos- providing good basic tutorials as free 'tasters' & paid training that looks to be good value. NO connection with SPF either!

PS- Sporkman was uncharacteristically presumptuous & abusive- normally most helpful & professional. Maybe having a bad day? Flaming on this NG is unusual.

Reply to
domlanic

Obviously, dude!

..

Zippydo wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

I hear ya, choices are always good. For some people getting the information presented in a different way, or in privacy (which I think this tool is directed towards), is an attractive alternative.

And, say, for those people who do not have SW but are thinking about moving to another job or to get some understanding of SW without all the overhead of a full license/training/support.. I can see it's use.

I've been a manager, teacher and I work with client managers all the time so being in this business, I would bet that many of the users are managers who either have too use SW because they laid off a few designers/engineers or they want to know more about SW so they don't feel/sound like idiots around their subordinates, consultants or people they maybe hiring. I personally think it's also funny because most managers also are the ones making decisions about what design software is used/purchased... makes you go... hmm, doesn't it!?????????

For those who really know me, you know I'm laughing, because you know it's true!! 8^)

..

Kman wrote:

Reply to
Paul Salvador

Sorry Zippydo ... I was taking off on a reference to an underground comic strip from the late 60's and early 70's in which Zippy the Pinhead was the prominent character. It was a low blow, and not funny. If you don't have any relation to the software company, then further and abject apologies. As Mr. Pickles indicated, yours is the 3rd thread to ask about SolidProfessor in the last couple of weeks. Something you can do to check whether or not a topic has been already addressed in the newsgroup is to do a search using Google (groups.google.com). I often do just that before posting, even though I don't use Google to post.

Mark 'Sporky' Staplet>

Reply to
Sporkman

Can't disagree their are still many managers out there who can't turn on a computer without their administrative assistant. Having said that, there are many good managers out there that do listen and lead by example. Then there are the employees that kick, scream and whine to anyone that will lend them an ear when a directive is given to switch from AutoCAD to SolidWorks. Personal experience.

Reply to
Kman

"Kman" wrote in news:gO3pc.5490$zO3.846 @newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net:

I don't know about Ken Lay, but I do know that I'm still doing a fair amount of training, which has actually increased over the past 5 months or so. It's true a lot of companies are just plain cheap, and for them maybe this web based stuff is just the ticket, but there are things that a web based trainer can't answer for you.

matt

Reply to
matt