Surfacing for everyday modeling

I guess I'm part of the minority that doesn't use them as such. I did have one occasion once that required a bit of surfacing work, but I had to get help. No other time have I needed them.

Now, that being said, what I don't know about hardly lets me use it when needed. How do I know when I need them???

Most of what I design is based on metal fabrication, such as structural shapes, sheet metal, wlmts, castings, etc. I design custom machinery for building and handling cars, trucks, SUV's, etc. Do I NEED to use surfacing techniques to do my job? No - I have done just fine without them. Would they ever help in some way? Maybe, can't answer that one definitively. I would be a fool to state that there will never be surfacing in my day.

So, bottom line is that I haven't seen the need for it yet, but I also haven't look real hard either.

WT

Reply to
Wayne Tiffany

Matt,

My list is pretty close to yours except there are a couple of functions that I hardly ever use.

2 - replace face 1 - move face 9 - fill surface 8 - extend / trim surface 7 - delete face 6 - untrim 6 - delete hole 1 - move body 4 - delete body 6 - cut with surface 9 - up to surface end condition 7 - up to body end condition 9 - loft surface 2 - loft a solid between surface bodies 1 - ruled surface 1 - radiate surface

What do you use ruled surfaces for?

Jerry Steiger

Most of my work consists of standard extrusions and sheet metal. These are used on G5 code cnc machines and sheetmetal punching and folding machines. Simple and cheap, lol

Reply to
pete

You can see my stuff at

You will also see a funny pic of me, lol, drawn by a 6 year old. :-), many years a go, (if it is still there!)

Reply to
pete

Since folks here helped out with content for this topic, I thought I'd put up a link to the presentation that came from it. This was done for the Eastern Regional user group meeting. The name of the presentation has the "H" word in it (h_y_b_r_i_d) because it seemed appropriate, not because that word seems to attract flies better than sh_t in this newsgroup.

Go to the "User Groups" link. If you need a free Powerpoint viewer, there's a link on this page.

Matt

Reply to
matt

I've not had need of surfaces for my mostly 'prismatic' parts, but this discussion here and my perusal of your PowerPoint has given me the impetus to start looking at these tools for the first time. Only occassionally might I have used some of these tools, but I'll bet if I know more I'll become more effective at my modeling.

This is one message thread and PowerPoint worth saving and studying, and thanks are due.

Here Here Matt!

Bo

Reply to
Bo