SW 2005 surface modeling question

I am having trouble making a fillet along the edge of a solid created from a surface. The surface is an imported iges from Surfcam. There is a ripple which prevents the fillet from forming. How can I smooth out that ripple so I can thicken the part and make a fillet? You can see the part on my Solidworks page:

Mark

Reply to
Mark

The surface comes from a point cloud. This is how it comes into Surfcam. Can you suggest how to fix the ripple in Surfcam, as I am new to Surfcam and am doing the tutorials this weekend.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Hi Mark,

You're probably going to have a tough time fixing that kind of stuff in Surfcam. One thing you might try is to split the surface on either side of the ripple. To do this you'll need to create surface splines with which to break the existing surface. (it's been forever since I tried to edit geometry in Surfcam) Once the offending is split out and deleted, you can create a blend surface to replace it which will be tangent to the originals. This would be under create>surface>blend.

Your adjacent geometry may no longer match up enough to be closed in SW after, though... This is something that would be a lot easier in a surface modeler like Rhino, or perhaps directly in SW. If you don't get any satisfaction, I've e-mailed you with my address, you can send an iges or Surfcam file to me and I'll see what I can do with it in Rhino.

-- Cheers,

--Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

Please remove 'nospam' from my email address to get the correct address. Mark

Reply to
Mark

You could trim it You could Delete Face and use the Fill surface command You could Delete Face and then Loft

You can also consider different kinds of fillets:

Face Fillet gets around a lot of irregularities Face Fillet with Hold Lines allows you to manually specify the edges of the fillet, but is more of a loft or fill, not a strictly "arc based" fillet. You could also just do the whole thing manually by trimming the surfaces back on both sides of the edge and then lofting the blend from one side to the other.

If you're gonna work in SolidWorks surfaces, you'll get good at all the dances you have to do to make things work.

Matt

Reply to
matt

What is AMC?

Reply to
Mark

Mark,

It looks symmetrical, and has one good side. Split it and mirror the result.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
Mark Mossberg

alt.machines.cnc

-- Cheers,

--Mitch

Reply to
Mitch

I got the part done by trimming off the bad edge and lofting back to a smooth composite sketch of the edge. I used three sections in my loft. The sections were created by pulling lines off the surfaces using the intersection curve function. I thickened beyond the necessary thickness and then filleted. I then used an offset and extended the surface to cut away the not needed thickness. Thanks to Matt all who gave suggestions. No thanks to those who said send it back to the other guy to fix. See results on my web site as mentioned above.

Mark

Reply to
Mark