SW2004 is out

I just got my SW2004 disks yesterday.

Wow, what a disk hog. 1.5Gb is a bit much for any program to take up. After installing on a W2k machine the whole machine seemed slower.

After I removed it there were still some things hanging around like the BlueBeam PDF writer. Does anyone know how to cleanly remove all of SW2004 from a machine including the installer software?

Reply to
kellnerp

I found out the hard way that a clean install is the safest route. I have never been able to clone the custom toolbars that I use, so that needs to be done manually. Here is the drill.

1 - Clean out C:\Temp folder 2 - Create Rescue disk ; Create SwOptions Wizard 3 - Make sure all current user specific files are copied into the SW_Install directory 4 - Windows Remove all SW applications 5 - Delete remnants of ALL SW folders 6- Delete Bluebeam directory (Important ? not doing this can give lotsa grief) 7 - CAREFULLY ? Using Regedit remove HKEY KEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Solidworks HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Solidworks HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Solidworks Corporation 8 - Exit all programs 9 - Disable Virus protection 10 - Load new SW 11 - Run Swoptions.reg. Fix all the toolbars etc., shortcut keys

Piece of cake. Cheers bob

Reply to
rab

How are the registry items deleted, what precautions should one take?

TIA,

Dennis

Reply to
Dennis

If you remove all old SW folders and reg info do you have to put in another registration code on installation? Or, is it hidden within Swoptions.reg? thanks,

Reply to
B Long

Bob,

I am very familiar with this removal procedure, but this method is not applicable in my case since there is an install of SW2003 that should stay. What I found is that either installing SW2004 or uninstalling it seemed to remove key customizations and other settings. Also the Blue Beam pdf writer was left behind and there may be other things like the MSInstaller software that I only need for SW2004. I think we are going way beyond the normal clean uninstall.

Reply to
kellnerp

How big is your present disk? It might be worth considering getting a larger one or adding an additional one to the system.

Reply to
Gary Reichlinger

Hello B -

Don't remember, but I think it gets entered automatically, probably from some un-deleted registry source. However, the code is not in the SWoptions file. I presume you have noted your new number - if not get if from your VAR before proceeding.

Hi Dennis -

1 - Type "regedit" in "Run" box on your start menu (Win 2000, probably XP too) 2 - From the regedit file menu pick "Export Registry File" 3 - Check the radio button "all" 4 - Give it a unique name (no extension - .reg will be appended) This is your safety backup in case something bombs. In which case restore the old registry by double clicking this file. Read more in Help. There is another, even safer, procedure by using the "create rescue disk" process - check your help file for this;it is easy. Within this procedure is an option to also save the registry to the rescue disk floppy. 5 - Locate the HKEY...... lines, one at a time. Delete the entire line. 6 - Don't screw with anything else - be careful. 7 - From the file menu > Exit. The new purged registry file is saved. 8 - Go on with the SW installation procedure. The new registry entries will be created by the installer.

Cheers bob

Reply to
rab

It seems to me that one MUST remove the Bluebeam folder before running the 2004 installer. I had not done so when installing 2004sp0 and I had a terrible hangup on the installer. I had a hell of time getting rid of the problem - indeed I am not sure now what worked. The problem with MS installer seems to be that when an install aborts for whatever reason, the next trip around re-starts where it left off. When I got rid of Bluebeam and the installer re-start (I seem to recall that I did the deletes from a DOS box) the install proceeded smoothly.

Why SW got rid of InstallShield is beyond me. It was bulletproof and flexible and didn't require the CD's for SPs. My guesses are twofold. First probably pressure from the Emperor of Redmond. Secondly, it might be considered an anti-piracy measure in that the CDs are required - not a great obstacle, but nonetheless . . . . .

Cheers bob

Reply to
rab

Reply to
kellnerp

re: re-enter reg codes

The reg codes are not stored. All the serial numbers used are stored in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SolidWorks\Security

Reply to
rocheey