FormatWorks Update / Solidworks Inability To Deal With Non-Native Imported Surface Geometry

FormatWorks was mentioned by Kellnerp as a solution to SolidWorks inability to deal with non-native imported surface geometry. I was not aware of this product. I thought I would post what I have found out about Format Works.

"FormatWorks 2004 minimizes data interoperability problems, saves engineering time and brings you maximum benefit from your SolidWorks investment. Importing the most complex models and assembles is no longer a challenge."

"Manual repair has never been simpler. If necessary, FormatWorks will automatically provide you with the workflow to fix all problems originating in the CAD model Defective entities are grouped in a project tree as separate documents. All manual repair operations are intuitive and easy to use since they are completely integrated into SolidWorks. As a result, the user operates only on faulty parts and their neighbours instead of manipulating on the whole model or complex assembly."

"FormatWorks 2004 extends the SolidWorks data translation capability to support native CATIA V4 and V5 data as well as other formats. The technology used in FormatWorks is based on proprietary algorithms developed by Capvidia for the automotive industry to provide automatic, accurate, and reliable translation into and out of SolidWorks."

"FormatWorks sells for $2875.00 plus 20% maintenance. For this price you can select either our IGES importer, Catia V4,or Catia V5. If you want both CATIA V4 and V5, add $1500.00."

Spending $2875.00 plus 20% maintenance does not seem to me to be viable solution to working with non-native imported surface geometry because SolidWorks can't handle even the most basic elements of modification.

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

What DO you feel is a viable solution, purchasing think3?? LOL

Gimme a break.

In all seriousness, SW has greatly improved their importing capabilitues with 2004. I had some older files that were a REAL pain to get into SW and then fix, but now it is all done automatically. Whatever they did, they did it right.

Kudos, once again, to SolidWorks!!

Todd

Reply to
TT

The technology in think3's thinkdesign/ thinkshape far exceeds Solidworks and it's not really very hard to see this if your not a blind product loyalist. The same can easily be said for VX's Vision.

In all seriousness there is little of no difference between SW 2003 and SW 2004 when it comes to importing non-native surface geometry because you still can't turn on U, V surface points and you still can't edit NURB splines.

For doing exactly what ???

Have you read Mark Biasotti's comparison of SolidWorks to Pro/E Wildfire ? Any idea how much better thinkshape with Global Shape Modeling is than Pro/E Wildfire at surfacing let along comparing it to SolidWorks ?

Look forward to you addressing these specific issues with SolidWorks rather than you once again stating:

"Kudos, once again, to SolidWorks!!"

jon

Reply to
jon banquer

Jon,

From experience:

SolidWorks 2004 healing funtionality has been greatly improved.

Fact: I opened an IGES in 2003, it failed and I had to manually repair with surface tools.

In SW 2004, I no longer need to do a thing.

So in that regard, "Kudos to SolidWorks!!"

--Todd

Reply to
TT

Okay. This is good to know.

Understand what you mean now.

I guess what concerns me is the concept of relying on automatic healing rather than providing the needed manual tools in SolidWorks.

Automatic tools will never be powerful enough to take care of many of the kinds of problems that one often experiences when importing non-native surface geometry.

jon

capabilitues

capabilitues

Reply to
jon banquer

Jon,

From my personal experience, a LOT has to do with the exporting system. A majority of my experience of importing files is from Pro/E (no thanks to Pro/E for encrypting their files) IGES files. If you follow the suggestions SolidWorks gives you for settings found in Pro/E (not using the default), the IGES files come in WAY better. They also provide settings for other systems (although I have no experience with those).

In regards to SW, the fill command was the best tool in regards to fixing files they have come out with. That 1 tool made almost every file "repairable".

When simple "surfacing" tools don't do the job, that usually means that there is "bad" geometry. I have been able to overcome this by simply adjusting the import tolerance. May take an extra few steps, but usually it usually does the trick.

As far as tools that you say are needed, what do you mean?

--Todd

Reply to
TT

Never a clue in sight ..... What's a surface? What's a solid? What's a kernel? No clues ...

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

A very brief check was all that was needed to yet again show that you don't have a clue what the software does or why.

But, after all, it's not like you ever knew squat about CAD, CAD/CAM or CAM systems.

You might as well blame CATIA for not being SW. HAND

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Still no clues .... have you EVER used it? Even seen a demo? Is DXF still better than IGES? Does COMPACT-II still "reverse post" MDI CNC code to associative Applicon geometry? What are developable surfaces? What are surfaces, solids and kernels? What is "C2"?

LMFAO

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Todd,

"From my personal experience, a LOT has to do with the exporting system. A majority of my experience of importing files is from Pro/E (no thanks to Pro/E for encrypting their files) IGES files. If you follow the suggestions SolidWorks gives you for settings found in Pro/E (not using the default), the IGES files come in WAY better. They also provide settings for other systems (although I have no experience with those)."

No disagreement on what you need to do with IGES.

IMO

  1. "I Guess" is a joke of a standard.

  1. Until Mr. Atari's STEP really becomes a meaningful standard or the next latest and greatest standard emerges, I think it's best, if possible, to import the file at the kernel level. Granite One, Parasolid, ACIS, etc.

"In regards to SW, the fill command was the best tool in regards to fixing files they have come out with. That 1 tool made almost every file "repairable"."

Does the SolidWorks fill command support consistent continuous tangent curvature (C2) ?

"When simple "surfacing" tools don't do the job, that usually means that there is "bad" geometry."

I work with people who are artists and who have no idea what needs to be done to get something manufactured or are not full time users of products like Rhino and often produce files filled with bad geometry.

"As far as tools that you say are needed, what do you mean?"

Tools that allow one to work directly on imported non-native surface geometry.... the tools you find in a fully hybrid modeler.

jon

suggestions

Reply to
jon banquer

Huh????

jon banquer wrote: ...snip...snip...snip

Reply to
kellnerp

That's yet another crock. Except perhaps to justify the "no idea".

Someone sent you an Email. You still got it wrong IIRC as they were useing Bezier 2D curves and YOU told them to just dimension them and give the drawing to a machinist for MDI programming.

Clueless indeed ...

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Only to clueless idiots.

And when multiple systems have different kernels? Hand this one the idiot card.

BTW, Clue of the day: IGES supports some things that kernels do not.

But then again, you don't know what a kernel is (or is not) or what IGES is.

Reply to
Cliff Huprich

Don't YOU have a clue?

Reply to