Easy ways to make money with an "automatic surface grinder"

At an auction, I just bought a "Kikinda 1000A automatic surface grinder". This one, I think, goes in automatic repeated movements
until it grinds to a certain depth. The price was right.
I kin of like it. An I wonder if, perhaps, there is some easy way to make money using this grinder. Not sure what it could be, but I am looking for a business justification of keeping it.
On Wed, 21 May 2014 18:53:13 -0500, Ignoramus24233

For one thing you can grind perfect repeatable square stock lathe/shaper tools [not Wentworth because of root/crest radius] including Acme. http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/sharpening-fixture-185560/ [can be improved by a vertical slot to grind tip flat. Also I think welding to base may introduce distortion. 2 SHCS should be adequate.]
the following may be helpful http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/f26/surface-grinder-uses-879/ http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t 910 http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/uses-for-a-surface-grinder.299534/ http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/how-much-do-you-use-surface-grinder-84614/
Let the group know what you decide.
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,
On Wed, 21 May 2014 19:47:03 -0500, F. George McDuffee
-------------------------- Quark the Ferengi sometimes quoted one of the laws of acquisition [generally after losing his taw] "Easy money is the hardest kind."
Quark - the ideal neo-con http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_%28Star_Trek%29
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,

George, I may be a little jaded because I go to so many liquidation auctions. What I see is shops full of expensive precision equipment, in debt because of buying that equipment, go bankrupt because it turns out that owning that equipment does not give them a good return on capital due to competition from similar shops.
I am not looking to get in that sort of thing.
I find that in industrial space, doing low tech, easy stuff, gives me better returns and less headaches, I am not burdened by expensive machines and bank payments. Make 300 here, 1000 there etc, is less risk and gives decent reward.
if I can find some good use for this kikinda, I will keep it, if not it goes to be sold for some realistic amount.

That's a nice grinder. It's a little large for some shops, but with a lot of nice features, and it's unlikely to be badly worn at its age.
Lloyd
On 2014-05-22, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> wrote:

I spent 5 minutes with it, the only thing that I could figure out was how to run the spindle. It does look nice and moves smoothly by hand.
On Wed, 21 May 2014 20:41:38 -0500, Ignoramus24233
<snip>

</snip>
Hence my comment in AMC about seeing numbers of innovative, experienced, and technically competent machine shops go out of business because they indeed made money in the shop, but lost it all (and more) in the ledger [amortization, interest, and depreciation]. Thread is about JobBoss ERM software if anyone is interested.
--
Unka' George

"Gold is the money of kings,

Well, a good business makes money, and a bad business does not, if under reasonable accounting there is no profit after depreciation and interest, then there is no profit.
A good business is wildly profitable and even a tax cheat cannot hide those profits because there is so much.
"F. George McDuffee" wrote:

ISBN: 0671529366 Rules of Acquisition
http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Rules_of_Acquisition_%28episode%29
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

I don't know... I had a boss in the plastics injection-moulding business who, every time he stood at a surface grinder working on a new mold, "Easy Money!". No work, get paid, just watch the machine run.
That seems like easy money to me!
Lloyd
"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" <lloydspinsidemindspring.com> on Sat, 29 Nov 2014 12:41:04 -0600 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Indoors, no heavy lifting, I get to sit down some, and listen to my ipod. And I get paid. "Beats working". -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 22:35:06 -0800, pyotr filipivich

The constant smell of burnt/molten plastic in my nose/lungs would prevent me from enjoying a job like that. <shrug>
Besides, the heavy lifting keeps our bodies in shape without having to resort to a sweaty, super-competitive gym.
--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,

    It isn't a job I would do for free, no. But it is a better job than the one I didn't have.

    I'm inclined towards a lot of repetition with lighter loads, rather than have to hump heavy stuff a lot. -- pyotr filipivich "With Age comes Wisdom. Although more often, Age travels alone."
On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 06:24:40 -0800, pyotr filipivich

Yeah, easy choice.

I believe most of us lean heavily in that direction, Pete. The problem with not working is that it's so damned boring. One gets tired doing nothing all day, knowwhatImean,Vern?
--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,

    You wake up in the morning, and blam - you're not on the job.     And how do you know if you are on your break, or just goofing off?     And how does one know when you're done for the day?
    Ah, but then there comes that wonderful moment, when you realize that after a long day of doing nothing, you are done for the day, it is now time to relax and rest.     At least we have time to do things - if they don't require money.      "We've gotten nothing done today." "JW, we're unemployed. Getting Nothing Done, is our job." Jan 10,2002
tschus pyotr
tschus pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
"What was I, before I was what I am, and will I be when I'm not?

That's easy for you to say.
--
Believe nothing.
No matter where you read it,
On 11/30/2014 7:42 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

I did that for a summer many years ago. Sucked.

In shape if you mean damage to my back from having to do the occasional bad lift. My chiropractor worked on a lot of machinists and she recognized that no matter how careful you are, you still end up doing too many bad lifts.
Most gyms are set up to exercise you without damage to your body.
David
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Building Telemetry equipment was mostly sitting, and the heaviest item we built was 72 pounds. They were clamped in a custom made cart for rack mount chassis that let you roll the chassis, so you could work on any area.
have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

I am no longer seeing messages posted by F. George McDuffee. I have not plonked him, but I'm only seeing replies to his messages. I am using Mozilla Thunderbird 24.6 for email.
How do I unplonk someone not plonked?
David
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 13:19:11 -0600
<snip>

It was an old post, check the date:

I don't think your missing anything. Just forgot that you already saw it last May...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b