tips backlog - seamless extension of surfaces

Sometimes when I extend a surface, the extended areas merge with the original surface, and other times the extended areas result in different faces from the original surface. I never could figure out why extensions don't always merge with the source.

Today when I copied a moderately complex face by doing an offset of '0.00' and extended the ends of that surface, I ended up with one face. When the offset was "0.005", all of the extended areas were split into different faces from the original.

Extra faces in a model are the enemy, causing problems with many features. It's better to do the copy at '0.000', extend seamlessly, then offset that seamless face '.005' to create a seamless result than to remove the extra offset feature but be burdened with multiple faces.

Again, I don't know if this is a unique case or it applies across the board, but its something to keep an eye out for.

And here's a generally useful Tip -

Insert>Surface>Untrim can be used to extend faces too - just mess with the percentage number. Untrimmed surfaces will usually be seamless to the original, where an extension often won't be.

Reply to
Edward T Eaton

Thank you, thank you , thank you! I won't know for sure until I try it out, but I think you may have shown me how to make one of my problem parts much more robust.

Another very interesting idea that I would never have thought of in a million years. You are the king of surfaces!

Jerry Steiger Tripod Data Systems

Reply to
Jerry Steiger

Ed

Your tips are like signposts in a labyrinth, pointing back to Sanity

I helped an associate recently with a difficult curvy swoopy modelling problem which ended up being both easy and fun, largely due to techniques and workarounds you'd either originated or brought to the attention of this group.

Untrim is one of those features which had dropped out of my mental map, and inspired by this unconventional workaround, I intend to survey it and stick in on the map.

Thanks again

Andrew Troup

Reply to
Andrew Troup

Dude, you are going to love untrim. It is really worth a look

Reply to
Edward T Eaton