(x, y) coordinate note macro?

I'm thinking of writing a macro to do this, but I thought I'd ask if it's been done before, or any tips.

Here's the goal: We use a TRAK 2-axis CNC mill, that is programmed by drawing profiles (lines and circular arcs) on the control panel of the machine. We currently use ordinate dimensions, which we then enter into the machine for each endpoint and centerpoint of the profile. But, the standard ordinate dimensions are difficult to work with on complex parts, because there can be so many and you can pick the wrong one.

I'd like a macro that does something like this:

-start (x,y) macro

-select zero point

-for each selected endpoint and centerpoint, apply a note with (x,y) dimensions from the zero point.

For extra credit, I might want to extend it to create a text list that follows the following format:

line from (1.000,2.000) to (2.000, 3.000)

arc from (xxx,xxx) to (xxx,xxx) center point (xxx,xxx)

etc.

Any hints or previous similar work? I'm using SW 2004-2005 Educational / Student editions.

Thanks! Denny Trimble University of Washington

Reply to
Denny Trimble

Why not just make one that would output a text file the machine would run. I did this back in the days of AutoCAD created a lisp that would create a runable text file for a bridgeport. Make a simple part that would have all the standard geometry types for a 2d profile. Arc line circle pattern. Then take the text file that the machine produces and figure out what it needs. Then just have your operator go through the code and change the tools unless you want to create a library. Creating the CNC code programatically is much more reliable not to mention quicker than having someone type it in to the machine manually.

my 2¢

Corey

Reply to
Corey Scheich