Sketched datum curve tangencies

The part I'm working on has a feature that has an airfoil cross-section
profile.
The airfoil has been defined as a bunch of points with X-Y coordinates.
Since the profile varies along the length of the feature, there are several
cross-sections positioned along its length with each having its own set of
points defining the airfoil profile at this cross-section.
My approach is to create a sketched datum curve at each cross-section using
the points and then do a blend or a swept blend (of course, I could try to
create section sketches on the fly, but I feel that having them done
separately makes my job easier).
Now, here is the problem: I've tried creating the curves by sketching a
spline and then editing point coordinates manually. I've also tried reading
point coordinates in from file. Regardless of the method, there are a couple
places in the resulting spline where it is somewhat distorted in comparison
to the expected result.
The Wildfire Help gives an indication that it is possible to edit tangency
conditions at the spline nodes (definitely at the endpoints, and some Help
entries seem to indicate that it is possible to do it with intermediate
points as well). However, I was not able to find the commands Help advises
to use.
For instance, here is one Help article:
To Modify Tangency Endpoints
You can modify the tangency of the endpoints of an existing spline.
1.. Choose Modify > Mod Entity.
2.. Pick a spline.
3.. Choose Tangency from the MOD SPLINE menu.
4.. Pick the start or end point. The system displays the current status of
the point (tangent or non-tangent).
5.. The system displays the MOD TANG menu, which has the following
a.. Add?Add a tangency condition to the selected point.
b.. Remove?Remove a tangency condition from the selected point.
6.. To modify another endpoint, pick the other endpoint and choose Add or
Remove.
7.. Choose Done Modify to exit the MOD SPLINE menu.
See Also
I'd be very grateful if somebody could tell me where these commands are,
because so far I have not been able to find them. I am using Wildfire
Foundation, and the Help seems to indicate that these commands should be
available in the basic package. So far I was able to 'fudge' the splines by
adding more points, but I'd prefer to do that by adjusting tangencies, if
possible.
Reply to
Alex Sh.
: Now, here is the problem: I've tried creating the curves by sketching a : spline and then editing point coordinates manually. I've also tried reading : point coordinates in from file. Regardless of the method, there are a couple : places in the resulting spline where it is somewhat distorted in comparison : to the expected result. : The Wildfire Help gives an indication that it is possible to edit tangency : conditions at the spline nodes (definitely at the endpoints, and some Help : entries seem to indicate that it is possible to do it with intermediate : points as well). However, I was not able to find the commands Help advises : to use.
I can't get into correcting Pro/e's help system. If I were to do that, I'd have to start with scrapping the whole thing, making it a genuine Windows GUI interface, compiled for Windows (see SolidWorks, Pro/DESKTOP) and skipping the typical goofiness.
As for the sketched spline, skip the antiquated help menus. The first thing is to get the start and end points coincident, which can be done the usual way, with the contraints interface. In fact, in mine, when I make them coincident, I'd swear, they're already tangent, even sketching it so that the trailing edge where a sharp intersection matters the least, is that start/end edge. While in sketcher, double click the spline. They seem to become a closed loop. This will bring up a dashboard for spline modification. Pick the 'Control points' radio button to get the control poly to adjust the shape of your spline. Also, a big help ~ turn on the curve analysis with the icon. It's interactive, updates as you drag the control poly, then adjust scale and density to show the shape more accurately.
David Janes
Reply to
David Janes

Site Timeline