Zoom in and out is terrible.

We just upgraded to 04 in my place of employment. The first thing I noticed in large assembly was the jerkiness. If I load parts lightweight, it is terrible when I rotate. If I resolve the parts, it rotates better. But the zoom in and out is unbearable to us. There is a lag and the cursor sits there for a second. Then it zooms in or out. We have tried every combination of settings we could find and it is still crappy. 2003 ran flawless with the same settings, PCs, video cards, ect. I brought the disks home and loaded onto 2 home machines for an experiment. Generally my home PCs run much better than the ones in work. Im still having the same problem. I was under the impression that 04 was going to be "better". Im pretty disgusted at the moment. Any ideas of a setting I might be missing. When I say "large assembly" I am only working with maybe 500 parts tops :) Thanks, Jake Barron

Reply to
<JBARRON

which graphics card are you using?driver?

Reply to
neil

Hmmm...

I did notice a little (very little) slowdown in graphics between 03 & 04. It was much bigger between 01+ & 03. Could you be running in software OpenGL maybe ? Since your talking about relative performance between two adjacent releases on the same hardware, it makes me suspect the video card or drivers. Do all these machines use the same video card ?The last three releases of SW have contained some very specific tweaks for very specific cards. They might not have yours right yet.

Give us the specs on your hardware.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM

We were using 3D Labs VP870 cards. Today I dropped the Nvidia QuadroFX500 cards (I think thats what they were) and the results were much better. Its kinda funny because 5 monthes ago the VAR was recommending the 3D Labs cards. Now it the Quadros....sheesh, I cant keep up. Thanks for the help, Jake Barron

Reply to
Jake Barron

Jake,

I hear ya....

We'd been using 3DLabs cards through two generations GMX2000 - GVX1, GVX210. Good products with good drivers and support.

Back in those days, Nvidia products were quirky and immature. It seemed like most people spent more time fussing with drivers and tweaks than they spent working.

I'd hoped 3Dlabs would get their act back together with the new VP series chips, but it doesn't look that way. The truth is, the lowliest Nvidia

580XGL blows away the best VP card, and they're stable and reliable to boot. Now the high end Wildcat cards are another story.

I had no choice, I made the switch too. Never did buy a VP card though, the posts on this NG saved me from that.

Regards

Mark

Reply to
MM