CP Rail 3 unit well car drawings

Hey everybody. I just discovered CutePDF so I can upload my cad drawings in pdf form to my web site. They're nice and clean. Eventually I'd like to put all my drawings up there. I'll start with the CP Rail well cars...

J Barnstorf

"J Barnstorf" wrote in news:x_U1h.231180$1T2.102611@pd7urf2no:

I must recommend AGAINST PDF files on websites. PDF has its place, and it's not as part of the content of the website. If you can, use JPEG or perhaps use JPEG and link to the document in the CAD program.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Any raster file ruins CAD drawings for any purpose other than cursury studies. PDF isn't much use for scaling, but the line work is reproduced correctly. PDF is a compromise. JPEG is a bad choice.

CTucker NY

Reply to
Christian

The PDF files are not part of the displayed content on the page. There are links to PDF files that you download. The PDF files are much cleaner than jeg and are crisper when you zoom in. I printed pdf versions of my cad drawings and they are much cleaner than jpg renditions. I don't want to put tcw files up for two reasons. One of which is that if I do so then you need a cad package to use them. PDF is readily distributable. My target audience is people who will use the drawings to create models, not just view them online.

Reply to
J Barnstorf

BTW I have included 'yardsticks' in the template diagrams. If your printout comes out to the wrong size you can photocopy to correct dimensions. Use a pair of calipers to determine how much your printout is out of scale. I printed a copy of the angled car templates on my BJC 210 printer. The 41' yardstick prints out at 40' 11". Pretty close and the lines are nice and clean. I am happy with the results. If you don't like them, feel free not to use them :-).

Reply to
J Barnstorf

Sorry, this may have sounded a bit 'snipey'. Didn't mean to sound that way. I appreciate your input and realize you where giving constructive criticism. :-)

Reply to
J Barnstorf

Not to worry, I'm not alone when I say that I love PDF for reasons of clarity and the ability to zoom in without things "fuzzing up" on you.

Jpegs of course, do tend to have their limitations unless you've put a high-res scan or image onto a 2400 dpi mat, and then, you're stuck with a ridiculous file size depending on the amount of compression you're using.

Lo-res Jpg is definitely nice to quickly and easily evaluate a piece of work with, but not use to it's fullest extent. Oh, this could go on and on...hmm, maybe it's a dial-up thing. No matter.

Good work and good job. Keep it up.

Pete in Calgary

J Barnstorf wrote:

Reply to
hoser

No way! PDFs are much more preferred for technical drawings because they retain scale and linework when printed far better than JPEGs.

Reply to
Mark Mathu