Help: CN Coal Gondola dimensions

Anybody know the dimensions of CN's coal gondolas?
I need truck centers & length and width of the top of the gondola frame. any
additional dimensions would be grand. I have the data from equipment
registers but external length is to the pulling faces and there's no truck
center info.
Thanks for any help
Jb
Reply to
J Barnstorf
Insufficient information. Class of car/number series? Build date? Why a "coal gondola?" AFAIK, a general purpose gon can be used for anything. Or are you referring to a gondola in company service? Etc. The information below should enable you to make a reasonable estimate of the dimensions you are looking for.
Generally speaking, the pulling faces are 18" to 2ft beyond the face of the end beam or the face of the coupler pocket where that projects beyond the end beam. (Exception: cushioned underfames/couplers, which are a different thing entirely.) So the gon would be about 3 to 4ft shorter than the distance between pulling faces.
The distance from the end beam to the truck's king pin is usually the same as the truck's wheelbase, plus or minus a few inches. Exceptions to this would be very long cars, where trucks will be set further in from the ends order to reduce the middle of the car's overhang on curves.
HTH
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir
Build dates include cars built in 1975 (one example ie CP 429083 - ex Procor car) CN cars are in the series CN 199714, CN 199810 other owners: DLRX 199678, SULX 2029. I call it a coal gondola because that's what CN used them for. Similar cars were also used for sulfur (Procor & Sultran and probably CN). Some Procor cars have been sold or leased to CP Rail for tie service. The sulfur gondolas had a special coating on the inside especially for handling sulphur. Don't know if coal cars did (doubt it).
18-24 inches is a possibility of 12" of error over the length of the car. I'd like a little better accuracy than that if I can. I'm working with more of a margin of error than I would like already. Additionally that only gives me the end beam. The top of the gondola frame is some distance back from the pocket faces. 54' 5" is what I come up with for the frame along the top of the gondola. Seems an odd dimension so I'll probably adjust that to 54' 6". When I scale out my photographs truck centers come out to 46'. It looks like the car has 33" wheels. Using 33" wheels and some dimensions from an ORER my truck centers then work out to 46'. But working from photographs, with adjustments to perspective and all that, it's easy to get dimensions wrong. At least to a couple of inches here and there. But usually not too bad, 45' or 46', to the eye the difference would probably be unnoticable. Esp if all dimensions were skewed, then overall the car would look pretty much correct. Still, it would be nice to get the dimensions correct.
Reply to
J Barnstorf
[...]
These are IIRC the "sultran" cars, right? I've searched my photo and plan file, and can't find any information on these cars. Sorry. I'll be searching in the unsorted stuff, but that will take a while. :-)
Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir
Thanks Wolf. You don't need to go to the extra trouble of going through your unsorted stuff. I found out they have 45' truck centers and 36" wheels. ... Unless your plans have the hopper dimensions ;-)
Reply to
J Barnstorf