Help with Resistors ?

How many? What kind? What are their voltage and current ratings? Are you powering all at once or one at a time?

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
ChrisGW wrote:

What you need is a quick course in electricity. Really. :-)
I see that other posters have kindly provided you with links to suitable sources.
Have fun!
Wolf spake thus:

No; what he *needs* is the right value resistor. Really. :-)
That's what he asked for, remember? Why is it that every query of this type is an invitation to subtly belittle the asker and suggest that they get their PhD. in electronics before deigning to ask such a question? Sheesh.
(Sorry if I seem a bit snarky about this: this newsgroup isn't as bad as some others, but I'm absolutely fed up with the rampant elitism about these kinds of questions I see here and elsewhere.)
David Nebenzahl wrote:

No!!! What he doesn't need, is for folks like you to imply to him that his original request was complete enough for an intelligent answer. It wasn't. The replies have been as gentle as possible for a basically NONSENSE question.
Chuck Davis
Charles Davis spake thus:

OK, so it's true he didn't give us enough information. Are you suggesting a) beating him over the head for being an idiot or b) asking him for more information? Most of the responses I've seen so far tend towards a) is all I'm saying.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

No, he doesn't deserve a beating, and while the responses could have been plainer, about what was missing in the way of information needed, I didn't think them impolite, or trying to infer that he was an 'Idiot' for asking the way he did. (He definitly wasn't in the 'Idiot' category when he thought of this group as a resource for finding the answer.) What I 'flipped' at, was the implied "there was enough information for answering his specific question' tone to your posting. Maybe the first answers 'danced around the problem' enough that the 'communication fog' obscured things a bit, but thats how I read your posting.
Chuck

The OP did not give enough information to give him an answer. We (the group) still don't know how much current is involved. Without that, all we can do is suggest how to compute the value, that is how to use Ohms Law.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
David Nebenzahl wrote:

If a resistor is the correct solution. he didn't specify why he wanted a lower voltage, so a resistor may not even be the best solution -- as couple other posters surmised, suggesting he might find something else entiorely a better solution to his problem.

No, I didn't belittle. I used a smiley, eh?

Er, I don't think that suggesting that someone learn what he needs to know to enjoy this hobby is being elitist. Elitist would be to suggest that he hasn't a hope of ever understanding it, which I don't think is the case at all - he does know that resistors can be used to drop voltage, after all, so he already knows about half of what he needs to know. :-)
HTH
Thanks to all that helped. The info was great!
Chris