MODEL RAILROAD SYSTEM VERSION 2.1.16 RELEASED

Deepwoods Software is pleased to announce the release of version 2.1.16 of the Model Railroad System. This package includes a collection of libraries and programs designed to help the modeler with many of the more tedious aspects of his or her hobby. Included are libraries for communication with Chubb and Lenz XPressNet networks, a user-mode driver for the Rail Driver control console, a library to parse XTrkCAD layout files, as well as utilities for computing dropping resistors, camera view areas, creating railroad time tables, and a switch-list based freight car forwarder system. There are several updates in this release:

Two new programs:

Dispatcher, a Dispatcher Control Panel Builder. It can also load XTrkCAD layout files and draw a graph network of the layout, which should be useful (?) in creating dispatcher control panels. This is an alpha release. No Documentation yet.

ModelRRSystem, an experimental launcher with simple window manager features. This is an alpha and experimental release. No Documentation yet.

Minor parser fixes to handle minor changes in XTrkCAD layout files.

Fixed a pile of problems with the build process. The system now will build in a subdirectory. This it is possible to build for multiple targets from a single source tree. Yeah!

More information is available at our web site:

Deepwoods Software is a software and system consultation company, specializing in Linux system installation and administration and contract programming in C/C++, Tcl/Tk, FORTRAN and LISP, in a Linux or UNIX environment. Deepwoods Software also sells low-cost, hassle-free web hosting. The staff of Deepwoods Software has over 20 years of experience in computer programming and over 10 years of Linux system administration.

Robert Heller

"Robert Heller" wrote

So far as I've been able to discover during my first 60 years in the hobby, model railroading has very few -if any- tedious aspects.

That's most likely why I'm still in it...

-Pete

Reply to
P. Roehling

I guess 'tediousness' is relative :-). It is not so much that there are truely tedious aspects as there are a number of common 'chores' that can be easily automated -- i.e. making use of that computer sitting in a corner to help with some simple tasks. The Model Railroad System attempts to provide utilities that deal with these sorts of things.

Reply to
Robert Heller