Ore Cars, kitbashing thereof

Looking at a couple of 25' ore cars I picked up at a train show.
They are assembled, a little dusty, and totally stock. The cast zamac
undercarriage was left as raw Zamac, the couplers are plastic Kadee
clones with the plastic knuckle close spring warped out of shape. Paint
and lettering is good, molded on detail (ladders, stirrups and grab
irons) is OK.
Current plan is to take them apart and paint the undercarriage,
replace the couplers with the real thing, a make loads for them. Anyone
know of a website with photos of the prototype? I could get into brake
rigging and air piping with some photos to egg me on...
David Starr
Reply to
David Starr
You'll find many photos at the fallen flags site -
for the iron ore RRs (DM&IR, LS&I, etc.) and the larger class 1's that served that area (C&NW, GN, NP, etc.), go to the freight car section for those RRs, and look for class HMA and similar type cars.
Plastic cars with zamac chassis are probably Roundhouse / Model Die Casting. They made four types - the more traditional sloped end sheet cars with rectangular sides as used on the DM&IR, LS&I, MILW, etc.; the tapered side cars as on Soo, C&NW and others; and the more modern low and high side "tub" cars used on the PRR. Geezer
Reply to
Geezer
Hi David
Just recently used the same models as a basis for further detailing. I chemically blackened the casting before painting and removed the unsightly snapin pegs that hold the casting to the body, gluing this together instead after filling in the holes.
Prototype photos at the following urls
Regards
Tony Cane
Reply to
t.cane
Thanks for the photos. Does "BlackenIt" work on zamac or did you use something else? I was going to just etch the zamac in vinegar and spray it with dark gray auto primer. The chemical blackening would make it more dureable, in that paint chipping would be harder to see.
David Starr
snipped-for-privacy@bt> >
Reply to
David Starr
Hi David
Im in the UK so products may be different. I used Birchwood Casey Brass Black sold for use on guns.
Regards
Tony Cane
Reply to
t.cane