Proto 2000 0-6-0 Switcher

Guys...I just saw the most recent ad for the Proto 2000 USRA 0-6-0 switcher and was extremely surprised to see that it is equipped with traction-tires! Seems to me that this is a huge step backwards.....I'd like to hear the thoughts of others about this. Cheers Gene

Reply to
gene

The loco is also built to accommodate a sound decoder, which means much less weight in the boiler. That reduces tractive effort.

0-6-0s couldn't actually haul much more than half a dozen to a dozen or so loaded cars. But buyers want locos that can haul that many and more up an 18" radius 3% grade, so traction tires are necessary. So long as the tires aren't lumpy and bumpy, I'm not really put out about it.

HTH

Reply to
Wolf Kirchmeir

traction-tires!