Proto 2000 0-6-0 Switcher

Guys...I just saw the most recent ad for the Proto 2000 USRA 0-6-0 switcher and was extremely surprised to see that it is equipped with traction-tires!
Seems to me that this is a huge step backwards.....I'd like to hear the thoughts of others about this. Cheers Gene
gene wrote:

The loco is also built to accommodate a sound decoder, which means much less weight in the boiler. That reduces tractive effort.
0-6-0s couldn't actually haul much more than half a dozen to a dozen or so loaded cars. But buyers want locos that can haul that many and more up an 18" radius 3% grade, so traction tires are necessary. So long as the tires aren't lumpy and bumpy, I'm not really put out about it.
HTH
Goodoh! The old perennial, traction tyres, yes or no has re-appeared. Wolf is quite correct in his comments. Hauling power, model or full size, depends basically on two things, axle load and co-efficient of friction between wheel tyre and rail head. As Wolf said, with a de-coder in the small boiler of an 0-6-0, the axle load goes down, so the only way that one can get the loco out of the 'skin off a rice pudding' class is to increase its co-efficent of friction, and that is done by the fitting of traction tyres. If these are properly fitted, as on most European models there are no problems with running. Regards, Bill.

switcher
traction-tires!