Railroad Trivia.

Just found out why railroads almost always painted their water tanks, bunker oil tanks, and sand towers dead black: Black is a heat sink, and on sunny days it made their contents significantly warmer than if the tanks had been painted (for instance) silver.

Warm water requires less fuel to be heated to a boil, bunker oil flows much more easily at higher temps, and the warmth tended to cook any remaining moisture out of the sand in the tower and let it flow into the locomotives more easily as well.

So obvious once it's been explained... (DOH!)

~ Pete

Reply to
Twibil

But one of those things that never seem to get explained ...

Reply to
LDosser

Actually, silver (for oil tanks), and oxide brown/red and yellow (on wooden tanks)were very common.

Matte black is also the best radiator of heat. On a clear, cool night, a couple degree above freezing, a black shingle roof will often have frost all over it by morning. So northern climes black would be a liability in winter, especially since winter nights are much longer than summer nights.

IMO, black was used for much the same reason as oxide red: it's a cheap paint.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

And if the car gets covered in grime or soot, you won't notice it.

Reply to
Robert Heller

Shrug.

I was recently given this information by a friend who (A) works full time in the BNSF shops and (B) does locomotive restoration and maintenance work for the Pacific Southwest Railway Museum in Campo, CA.

Given his background, I'd tend to believe that he knows whereof he speaks.

~Pete

Reply to
Twibil

Ah well, unless he has documentary evidence, I think he's just passing on some "lore". Just becasue someone works in an industry doesn't mean he's better informed on its history than an outsider who pokes around in dusty basements. ;-)

That being said, black paint for water tanks to preheat the water makes a lot of sense in the south and southwest.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

As long as it's not too hot - injectors don't like hot water. Condensing locomotives divert the steam back into the cold water which heats it up, and they have to use feed pumps instead.

I always assumed engines with feed water heaters used similar pumps.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Bets?

Reply to