Railroads to ride in central Colorado?

I've already done the one in the western part of the state -- the Durango & Silverton -- although it was 20 years ago, but we're going to be in central
Colorado this time, driving from Sante Fe, NM up to Leadville CO.
What are the good/best railroads to ride?
Also, are there any hobby shops worth a stop?
TIA Norm
Norm Dresner wrote:

Royal Gorge F-7 Ride out of Cannon City (4 times a day?)
Pikes Peak cog out of Manitou (Colorado Springs) yes, thin air...
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 21:07:07 GMT, Norm Dresner wrote:

Take the Cumbres and Toltec from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO (and ride the bus back).
--
Steve

Norm Dresner wrote:

A couple have already been mentioned. I'll add the Georgetown Loop RR and the Leadville. Colorado & Southern.

Caboose Hobbies in Denver.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me
On Wed, 08 Jun 2005 18:39:14 -0500, Rick Jones wrote:

Are they real railroads, or diesel powered? <g>
--
Steve

Steve Caple wrote:

Georgetown Loop is steam, LC&S uses diesels on historic right of way.
--

Rick Jones
Remove the Extra Dot to e-mail me

There used to be a "real" _very_ narrow gage excursion from Cripple Creek. Since gambling came to the mountains I don't know if they still run. The equipment was very old and had a rough life
--
Dana Miller

In article <dmiller297.not.really-
snipped-for-privacy@insightbb.com says...

It was still there last year. But it's less than an hour and consisted mostly of the guide pointing to a hole in the hillside and telling us what mine it used to be :-).
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

Norm Dresner wrote:

Another 15 mile ride out is a switcher/coach/ open gondola ride from:
Downtown Santa Fe, NM to Lamey, NM which is OR was the AMTRAK stop for nearby Santa Fe, NM......