Railroads to ride in central Colorado?

I've already done the one in the western part of the state -- the Durango &
Silverton -- although it was 20 years ago, but we're going to be in central
Colorado this time, driving from Sante Fe, NM up to Leadville CO.
What are the good/best railroads to ride?
Also, are there any hobby shops worth a stop?
TIA
Norm
Reply to
Norm Dresner
Royal Gorge F-7 Ride out of Cannon City (4 times a day?)
Pikes Peak cog out of Manitou (Colorado Springs) yes, thin air...
Reply to
Dennis Mayer
Take the Cumbres and Toltec from Chama, NM to Antonito, CO (and ride the bus back).
Reply to
Steve Caple
A couple have already been mentioned. I'll add the Georgetown Loop RR and the Leadville. Colorado & Southern.
Caboose Hobbies in Denver.
Reply to
Rick Jones
Another 15 mile ride out is a switcher/coach/ open gondola ride from:
Downtown Santa Fe, NM to Lamey, NM which is OR was the AMTRAK stop for nearby Santa Fe, NM......
Reply to
Dennis Mayer
Are they real railroads, or diesel powered?
Reply to
Steve Caple
Georgetown Loop is steam, LC&S uses diesels on historic right of way.
Reply to
Rick Jones
There used to be a "real" _very_ narrow gage excursion from Cripple Creek. Since gambling came to the mountains I don't know if they still run. The equipment was very old and had a rough life
Reply to
Dana Miller
It was still there last year. But it's less than an hour and consisted mostly of the guide pointing to a hole in the hillside and telling us what mine it used to be :-).
Reply to
lgb