Re: Diesel EMD SW7 "Calf" - use?

The calf (cabless unit) is used in conjunction a normal switcher. The calf does not have a prime mover - it gets electrical power from the "cow" unit.
Here's a listing of SW7 and the calf units producted http://www.trainweb.org/emdloco/sw7.htm
Val
--
***************************
Practice safe eating -- always use condiments.

A Calf is always used in conjunction with a Cow. It is a way to add additional HP and tractive effort to a switch engine. SW Calfs have a low body so the crew can see over them, at least more so than over a cow. A typical consist has one cow and one or more calf. By only having a single cow the crew can see over all the calves and have better visibility.

A slug has no prime mover (diesel engine), a calf is like a B unit, it is a full locomotive with no controls.

--
Clark Martin
Matt,
Matt & Kathleen Brennan wrote:

Southern Railway Systems (now part of NS) used calf/slug configurations. Have a read and look:
http://southern.railfan.net/ties/1952/52-3/slug.html
Stew
If you want to get some powered trucks take the gears out and use the "dummy" to pick up power to send to the 'cow' Use a small 2 prong plug painted black helps it look like mu cables. You can even light the dummy then or put sound into it. just remember to use the KD coupler box to keep the athearn frames insulated from eachother. I don't like the immatation KDs operation so I do it this way. Paul

I don't know if Oliver operated in any of the Michigan iron mines or not.
They DID operate at several mines in Minnesota. I saw the Baldwin cow and calf sets used to haul raw ore out of the open pit mines to the crusher/concentraters, ca. 1960. One such mine was the "Sherman" pit. They operated on VERY poor temporary trackage that was moved about like snap track to wherever the shovels were working at the time. The cars used were air operated side dump cars (Difco?), about ten per cow-calf set. The grades in the pits were steep. The Baldwins were good 'luggers'.
Dan Mitchell ========Mark Newton wrote:

Daniel A. Mitchell wrote:

Sorry Dan, it was Minnesota that I meant to type, not Michigan... I reckon the Baldwins would be well suited to that sort of service.
Incorrect. The 'calf' is just a 'B' unit for a switcher. It is complete except for a control cab (actually, they often DO have limited controls, just like most 'B' units).
What you are referring to is a 'SLUG", not a 'calf'. Slugs have no Diesel engines, just traction motors.