12 volt or 240volt Generator

I'm searcing for a 12 or 240 volt slow rotation generator in order to charge batteries through the day from a 250rpm engine, albeit belt pulley is 24" Diameter. Can anyone out there help?

Bob Stone

Reply to
Bob

You can of course gear it up using different pulley sizes. 250 RPM is very slow though. My normal default for 12V is a car alternator but they like speeds above 2000 RPM.With a 24" driving pulley, you may just about get a 10:1 ratio. Certainly worth a try.

What power is the engine? Car alternators are very inefficient. Expect about 25%, less if you run them fast.

John

Reply to
John

An alternator from a small 1000's of watts range wind generator would be right in that RPM range. Maybe find one with some broken blades on ebay. ________________ Andre' B.