Big chipper - assistance needed

We have obtained at a reasonable sum a BIG chipper into which one might thrust a fair size tree!

The middle piston & conn rod are missing as the previous owner gave it "to someone" to try & replace the piston. Typical ........

There is a number on the main block (picture included) & another on a plate on the rocker cover. This did not photograph very well. It says "Manufactured by Hyster company for Perkins engineering group". The bore of the engine is 90mm (3.5 inches) and the stroke is 127mm (5 inches). I make that 1077cc if my maths is correct.

Can anyone help with the clutch friction plate, piston, conn rod, big end shells - or perhaps a complete spare engine ?

Photos here .........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
kimsiddorn

Afaik Hyster made (make?) fork lifts etc so engine has probably already been changed at least once! Perhaps Dan recognises it - he was at Perkins for quite a while.

NHH

Reply to
NHH

Kind thanks to Peter Forbes who promptly responded off list. It is indeed a three cylinder Perky.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

kimsiddorn

I think we all got that bit, but what sort - presumably something which came after the famed P3?

NHH

Reply to
NHH

3-152 is the most likely, ties up fairly closely with the cylinder sizes, 3-144 was also a possible.

Peter

-- Peter & Rita Forbes Email: snipped-for-privacy@easynet.co.uk

Peter A Forbes

From the measuements it is 144 cubic inch, hence 3.144 as Peter suggests. Try your local plant dealer for spares, plenty about, or Perkins dealers still stock genuine stuff for =A3=A3=A3=A3. Plenty of seco= nd had engines around as they went in forklifts, tractors, compressors etc, though expect to put a piston and liner kit in anything of any age. Bellhousings and flywheels are usually to an ISO standard, so reasonably interchangeable, a 4.203 would probably fit as well and give a 33% power increase!

Regards, Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

From the measuements it is 144 cubic inch, hence 3.144 as Peter suggests. Try your local plant dealer for spares, plenty about, or Perkins dealers still stock genuine stuff for ££££. Plenty of second had engines around as they went in forklifts, tractors, compressors etc, though expect to put a piston and liner kit in anything of any age. Bellhousings and flywheels are usually to an ISO standard, so reasonably interchangeable, a 4.203 would probably fit as well and give a 33% power increase!

Regards, Dan

You may struggle to find a con-rod for it, as it took a couple weeks to track one down for a 3.152 I rebuilt a few years ago, as the indirect injection rods are a different length from the direct injection rods (crank

  • gudgeon pins are the same size though!). Surprisingly, I found genuine perkins parts for these engines weren't that expensive. It was cheaper to get piston and liner kits from perkins, than it was to get them from elsewhere.

moray

Reply to
moray