Re: Any big engine rallies to go to?

I'd like to know of some big rallies to go to, preferably in the south of

> the UK but I don't really mind. I was planning to go to Astle Park until I > realised I had missed it - so any other big ones coming up? > > Cheers > >

Welland Rally, near Malvern is always a good do - usually 200ish nice engines - quite a lot of group contributors tend to exhibit (watch out for my Tangye M and Pump). It's the weekend after next, 25th/26th and 27th of July. Otherwise look at the events planner at

- they cover most events all over the country and give an indication of what exhibits will be there.

There's also Dorset at the end of August which is probably the biggest...

Cheers

Dan

Reply to
Dan Howden

Honiton Hill Rally is fairly large and normally has a good number of engines. It's on Aug Bank Hol Sun & Mon. Then there's the Great Dorset. Not many engines but loads of opportunities to spend money.

John

Reply to
John Manders

On engines? :)

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

There is camping space at the rally itself, but a lot of people try local sites. The problem comes with getting backwards and forwards and readmission.

Peter

Peter A Forbes

I wouldn't be camping at the site, i'm looking to go on holiday at the same time, so I thought i'd camp somewhere near. :)

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

There are a lot of camping sites in the locality, you need to get onto the Caravan Club or similar or:

or:

or:

Plenty more on Google, enter: "Camping sites in Dorset".

Peter

Peter A Forbes

opportunities

On dam near anything. The traders area has to be seen to be believed. I paced it out once, 400 yards of aisle with stands on both sides. There are 8 aisles! You can buy anything from a lorry down to a washer. There are engines galore in all sorts of states of repair at all sorts of prices. Many of the bits come from the auction at Honiton Hill Rally on Aug Bank Hol Monday. There are normally a number of engines sold there as well. I shall be there as usual with mine on show. You are welcome to scrounge a cuppa as long as you don't laugh at my engines.

John

Reply to
John Manders

I might just do that! Doesn't look like i'll be able to make that other one so i'll make sure I can go to this one, sounds great, plus i'm after another engine, heheh.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Crocker - White

If you are going to the Great Dorset, you'd better take some stout walking shoes!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

Reply to
J K Siddorn

Why Kim? I roam around in trainers. T'other half wears sandals with heels. I've tried those but can't get them in my size and haven't got the legs either. Then it rains and the dust turns to mud. T'other half still wears sandals and they wash off easilly. My shoes take a lot more cleaning. The Great Dorset is accepted to be either muddy or dusty. Chris, if you go to the Great Dorset, the car park is a good 1/2 mile from the traders area and you will NOT get your car into the show. It's all fenced and well marshalled. A lot of traders will transport engines etc to the car park for you. Some charge for the service and some don't do it so beware. There are people who will take stuff on quads + trailers for you, again, at a price. My technique is to walk the entire traders area with a note book and tape measure. I write down what I'm interested in and compare prices. If you buy the first thing, you will find a cheaper one later, guaranteed. It normally takes 2 days to do the whole buying bit and to look at some of the show. If you haven't been before, you cannot imagine how big it is. I did a quick guesstimate one year by counting caravans etc and reconed that there were

5000 people staying on site overnight. Check their web site for admission and camping prices. The tickets are cheaper if you buy in advance. The down side is that things get stolen. Lock everthing away when you are not with it.

John

Reply to
John Manders

Quite right - and that's why I suggested stout walking shoes as everything requires a long distance tramp, car park to camp site to engine pens to Trader's Row.

I can't wear trainers, they bite my feet somethin' 'orrid ;o)) and sandals when handling machinery? No thanks - but each to his own, as they say. Dutch para boots with woollen socks for me anyday. Good enough for the Brecon Beacons .........

I'd not heard about the thievery. Is it rife? Break ins or casual lifting of unattended property? Engines or laptops?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn.

"John Manders" wrote

Reply to