Burford

We went over this morning, left after feeding the nags at about 8.45 and got there around 10am, weather was absolutely gorgeous, a bit of cloud to start with but clear blue skies and strong sun all day after that.

The rally was well endowed with engines, more than we expected, although many were small ones such as the usual culprits, D's and WD's. One particular caravan, car and gazebo which I think Martin Perman took a picture of had a very small air-cooled engine outside, I think it was a Douglas, and a huge amount of space taken up. The engine wasn't even running... Not good.

Blackstone horizontal, ex Bob Farr I think, Len Gillings was there with his superb vertical Blackstone, and for those who haven't seen this engine, it really is as good as we keep on saying. You have to see it.

Roland has his Petter-Light set running with load and sounding nice until we walked up, then it started misfiring... :-)) PTFE had hi very nice Atomic 5hp diesel, running a very nicely restored water pump, all in very tasteful blue and polished brass/copper. Dave Shortland had his Petter set, and I also saw a Cub flat twin diesel running with a load on across the way from the regulars. It sounded very nice and even but nobody with it and no display board.

Martin Perman gave us hospitality and shade from the sun, many thanks, Martin, it was much appreciated!

I didn't see Hugh Stannard's engine, but Hugh was there as he came along the engine line with a friend while we were talking with Martin.

The stalls were not as good as I had hoped, although the auction was well attended, running on until after 1pm. It is a country show after all, but a few more stalls with engineering stuff on would improve it for me, although this weekend there must be more rallies on that you could possibly go and see, with Welland, Fairford Air Display and Great Dorset still to come.

I managed to buy a decent little book on broaching by Machinery Publishing for

50p and a single-ended King Dick spanner which should be going to the USA in August :-))

We called into Chipping Norton and Banbury on the way home, hoping to find some small book shops to browse through, but apart from one shop in Chipping Norton which had a few books, there was nothing. Banbury seemingly has no secondhand shops at all according to one bookshop owner we asked, which seems strange.

I took the camera along, but the backdrops to all the engines tended to be tents and caravans which doesn't make for a good picture, so I didn't take any.

Home by just after 6.30pm after feeding the nags..

Peter

Peter A Forbes

Even after Hugh walked by he told me later he did not recognise you both. I took loads of pics and bought a Starrett Combination set for a fiver which after a good clean and oil will do me nicely. My first time at Burford with an engine and enjoyed the lot including looking at Kim's viking equipment.

Mart> We went over this morning, left after feeding the nags at about 8.45

-- please replace email with snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com.

May the force be with you, because if she isn't you're on a hiding to nothing.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Forgot to say hope all those that went, Philip, Roland, Kim etc all got home safe. I broke my own record, I allowed myself three hours to travel the 65 miles and got there in two hours and on the return did it in one hour and three quarters but it is all downhill on the return :-)) Had one small problem with the Bedford, I looked under the bonnet to find oil every where but still plenty in the sump. When it had cooled down enough for a prod and a poke I found all the screws holding the rocker cover in place very loose and yes I do check regularly and service it, my wife says I love it more than her and I suppose in a funny sort of way I do especially when you consider that in the last month Ive slept with the Bedford more than my wife :-)) My Bradford has developed big end knock this weekend so something else to do but to appease the wife no more rally's for a month-ish.

Mart> Even after Hugh walked by he told me later he did not recognise you > both.

-- please replace email with snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com.

May the force be with you, because if she isn't you're on a hiding to nothing.

Reply to
campingstoveman

Suffolk colt and a note plus the picture will be sent to Stationary engine. Nothing derogatory about the Burford rally though which I think was excellent.

-- please replace email with snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com.

May the force be with you, because if she isn't you're on a hiding to nothing.

Reply to
campingstoveman

There was also an air-cooled twin by itself, that's the one I saw, didn't see the Suffolk, maybe they swapped them around during the day....

This one was going left up the hill from where you were, about four or five tents from the corner where you would bear right to go up towards Martin P.

Sunburn is going down a bit now, it was a very nice day for us both, we should do it more often :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes