Scrappy Races (OT?)

Anybody been watching this latest incarnation of scrap heap challenge consisting of a vehicle build followed by number of different challenges? Our old mates the Barley Pickers built a huge tractor type beast powered by a V16 R-R diesel (I think that's what they said anyway, what would that have come from - something military?).

Anyway, the first challenge was revealed as a speed trial on Pendine sands for which this vehicle seemed quite unsuited as it stood, having a top speed of under 50mph (and apparently consuming a gallon of diesel every 4 1/2 miles!).

However, as the teams were allowed a day to adapt their vehicles for each challenge, our heroes cast around for a means of gearing up their beast but could not find anything which looked like it would handle the torque. So, in desperation they started to fiddle with the injection pump with a view to 'tweaking' the overspeed governor.

Result? - black smoke, lots of revs followed by expensive noises! " the adjusting nut came off in my hand mate". Yes the vandals blew that magnificent lump up. Removing the rocker covers revealed several handfuls of scrap iron. Apparently the race is now on to repair it before the next challenge (a 4X4 off-road course). I wonder how they'll fiddle that one?

Reply to
Nick Highfield

Actually I think its a straight six R-R Eagle, which did suffer from their fair share of troubles, dropped linerss and such. I can't think of any tractor pullers who use this engine. The BarleyPickers should have gone for a 13.5 litre Cummins, which as far as I know, are next to indestructible even with a plume of black smoke 30 feet high coming out of the exhaust pipe :-)

Regards

Philip T-E

Reply to
ClaraNET

I had a bit to do with the straight six Rolls-Royce Eagles when I worked in the motor trade, 'cos a bit of it (mercifully short) was to do with heavy haulage vehicles. I'm afraid that they didn't have an especially good reputation for - well, anything really :o(( The liners would sadly spiral down to meet the flying journals, the fuel consumption was dreadful and they were not especially powerful. Smooth, though, I remember they ran sweetly.

I suppose you could call that damned by faint praise........

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
J K Siddorn

"ClaraNET" wrote (snip):-

Ah ha, I thought I couldn't see another bank of cylinders! So they haven't killed anything too exotic after all.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

While I personally have no experience of Rolls-Royce diesels I know that marine versions were reputed to make fine anchors.

Reply to
Richard H Huelin

No - what channel and what time? Then I will be (assuming it is on a terrestrial channel anyway...)

ta

Jules

Reply to
Jules

Sunday 6:30 Channel four.

Reply to
Nick Highfield

In article , Jules writes

C4 1830 (well it was this week).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

What sort of HP was the Eagle engine rated at? Looked a fair lump on the telly- and whopper of a turbo on it...

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

Out of a '85 cat, Eagles were available from 180-350 bhp, 12.2 lit.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Has the Eagle finally been laid to rest? ISTR it was taken over by Perkins - did they improve it or just let it fade away? Where did it come from? did R-R design it from scratch, or was it in some degree developed from the Sentinel diesel?

Cheers Tim

Tim Leech Dutton Dry-Dock

timleech