XH558

Vulcan XH558 made a courtesy fly by over the the "Lazy R ranch" (Rolls Royce Bristol ) at 1pm today .A low speed,low level flyover ,turned over the
channel and returned for second run. Fantastic sight Mike.H.

It was displaying at Fairford so not too far from Bristol as the crow (Vulcan) flies. We had quite a few aircraft pootling over us in Oxfordshire while they waited for their slot. It was a lovely sight and sound. I saw the Vulcan at Cosford earlier this year. She wasn't as noisy as I remeber. I suspect the reheats are turned down or maybe not used at all. Still a great sight though and a tribute to those who've got her back in the air. http://www.vulcantothesky.org / And some of us struggle to get a Lister D finished!
John
John,
Just one ever so small point Vulcan engines were not fitted with re- heats :-))
Martin P
wrote:

It was displaying at Fairford so not too far from Bristol as the crow (Vulcan) flies. We had quite a few aircraft pootling over us in Oxfordshire while they waited for their slot. It was a lovely sight and sound. I saw the Vulcan at Cosford earlier this year. She wasn't as noisy as I remeber. I suspect the reheats are turned down or maybe not used at all. Still a great sight though and a tribute to those who've got her back in the air. http://www.vulcantothesky.org / And some of us struggle to get a Lister D finished!
John

Errrr...... Think you'll find they were, both Avon & Olympus (and the RB-199! 8-) )

AIUI, takeoff fuel weight is low (no ferry trips to Moscow) so the original thrust isn't needed.
Avon's yes and Olympus yes on Concord but not the Vulcan

Slight change to my previous email, the following aircraft were fitted with Avon's but only the Lightning and Draken had reheat. English Electric Lightning Hawker Hunter Saab 35 Draken Sud Aviation Caravelle Vulcan
Sapphire Engines Gloster Javelin Handley Page Victor Hawker Hunter and the lightning was fitted with them early on with reheat but were replaced with Avon's all the rest did not have reheat including the Vulcan
Martin P

W-e-l-l, I know the Vulcan we had at BSE had Oly 9000's with full reheat. I've learned summut today, because I never new they used Avons.
Regards,
Kim Siddorn

Kim,
A couple of aircraft tested the concord engines which had re heat fitted.
Martin P

=============================================================The Vulcan F.t.b. also flew --- Oly.22R (TSR2) and RB199 (Tornado) as fifth engine The Vulcan with the Oly22R was destroyed by fre on the airfield along with the works fire tender( I have the pictures) Mike.H.
Thanks Mike I forgot those. Long time since I had my aviation books etc out, shall have to refresh my mind a bit more.
Martin P

Did not the deHav Sea Vixen have a pair of Avons (Mk 208's)? The RAAF's Sabres certainly did have one Avon.
On Tue, 21 Jul 2009 18:37:32 +0100, campingstoveman wrote:

Yes, it did. There's still one airworthy (XP924), too:-
http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/seavixen/survivor.php?id 9
http://www.dehavillandaviation.com/DHA/FN100.html
--
Regards,
Andrew Marshall, G8BUR, M0MAA.
On Mon, 20 Jul 2009 10:48:02 -0700, John wrote:

Wind direction probably makes a big difference. Not sure if they're allowed to fly as low as they used to, either.
If you want Vulcan noise, go along to one of the fast taxi run events (XL426 at Southend does some nice ones).
I'm due a trip back to England at some point, and dearly want to try and coincide it with a Vulcan event :-) Nowt quite like it on this side of the Pond...
cheers
Jules

News to me, but I just happened to be walking across the office carpark (Aztec West) and saw a damn great delta batting around above me. Nice surprise.

Site Timeline