Pointers required

Hi there,

I'm trying to put together a few models of some of the aircraft that my Gramps flew during WW2 (Hurricane, Spitfires, Mosquito etc.) I have his RAF flight log book with his squadron and aircraft (tail?) number details but am having a hard time trying to find a defintive description of the colour scheme used for the squadrons, aircraft marks and their markings.

Can anyone point me in a good starting direction, Google has been of some use specifically

and
index.htm#Squadrons but the serial numbers there do not seem to correspond to any a/c he flew! I'm going to make an educated guess that the serial numbers did not appear on the outside of the aircraft and that the numbers on the sides of the tail and wings were linked somehow to the serials?

Thanks for any help :)

Reply to
Chris Dugan

If history is anything like what I'm familiar with, aircraft are identified in a variety of ways when it comes to "serial number" - contract number, manufacturing number, registration number, squadron side number...etc.

Generally for UK military aircraft the black number at the aft end of the fuselage is the serial -

In this picture, BM597 would be the number you'd be looking for on the website you pointed to to find out about this aircraft - that is it's serial number. (I'm pretty sure UK military aircraft still carry S/Ns in this manner.)

The large letter codes designate the Squadron and the aircraft's elemental ID within that Squadron.

Give us an example of one of the logbook entries, and we may be able to clarify further, as far as researching a specific aircraft.

Reply to
Rufus

Hi Rufus,

Ok here's one entry from when he was in No73 Squadron:

Date: Feb 15 1944 Aircraft: Spitfire IX B No. 582 Pilot: Self Flight time: 0 hours 25 mins Duty: Air test - 6:05 mins to 20,000. Dead engine at 37,000! Reached drome OK

No73 Squadron was based in Foggia at that time so I'm guessing some kind of desert colour scheme?

Reply to
Chris Dugan

Shame that your grandfather didn't see fit to include the full serial number of that aircraft, with the letters that should be in front of the numbers. Ahh well. However, given the time that he flew it, it would seem to be a late production machine, so I'd be looking towards the end of the production line on any list.

Rufus is correct is his descrition of serial numbers (except that the number isn't always black :) ), and yes, RAF a/c still use the same system. That serial number pretty well follows the airframe through its life, from the production line to scrapping. There are exceptions, as in all things, but they aren't that common.

The confusion with the number /could/ be that he miswrote/misremembered it (happens quite often), or it might be a 73 Sqn internal number, which is not common in RAF units, but was used by Fleet Air Arm units at times. Maybe see if there's a 73 Sqn group anywhere, and ask them? Or a visit to the archives, to see if there's a squadron book extant? From what I've heard, the RAF historical people are a good bunch, who will go out of their way to help with this sort of research, especially if you have done as much as you can before you approach them (don't quote me though).

Got any more you'd like looked up? Use us, abuse us, it's why we come here...

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

A shame that he only logged the last three digits, but that's common practice even today, I think. But is also appears that Spitfire S/N's are of the "AA000" make up...SOOOO...

The only thing left to do would be to search the production listing by the date he wrote in his logbook - c.a. 1944. So, we'd be looking for a Mk IX Spit manufactured during or before 1944, withe the last three of the S/N being 528. Mk IX production began in early 1942, according to this EAA article:

So, taking a hard look at your reference site (a really good reference, BTW) I am REALLY sure that this was your Grandfather's mount on that particular day in his logbook, and as listed on page 036 of your referenced site. By way of detailing each listed entry, and summary:

S/N: EN582 Mark: LFIX (type - low level fighter) Construction Number: 4364 (production number) Manufactured: R-R (Rolls Royce Hucknall Mk V to IX conversions) Engine: M66 (Merlin 66, 1580Hp)

History:

FF 26-5-43 R-RH (manufacture and first flight at Rolls Royce, Hucknall as a Mk V)

Cv LFIX 33MU 29-5-43 (converted to Mk LF.IX by No.33 Maintenance Unit)

82MU 11-6-43 SS708 14-6-43 (action by No.82 Maintenance Unit these dates; on an undamaged aircraft)

Casablanca 29-6-43 73S (delivered to No.73 Squadron in Casablanca)

Flew into truck attacking train near Dubrovnik 2-3-44 (hmmmnnnnn...)

Given that your Grandfather's logbook entry is for an "air test" and is dated 15 Feb 1944, I can only guess that he was test flying this aircraft after it was damaged on 3 Feb 1944 and put back together to return to action...how interesting is THAT! Wonder if he broke it first...

Link to the above page with the listing for EN582:

Abbreviations within the listing are detailed here:

A bit of history on No.73 Squadron that I found:

I also found a B&W picture of a Mk IX from your Granfather's Squadron, somewhere in Italy, here:

The caption below this picture reads:

"Spitfire IX, No.73 Squadron. Used from October 1943 in Italy until November 1947.

In the Mediterranean, 81 RAF squadron obtained the first, much needed, Spitfire IX 's at the end of January 1943. With the German and Italian defeat in North Africa, the Allies landed on Sicily in July and the Mk VIII began to arrive to supplement the increasing numbers of Spitfire IX. The invasion of Italy followed, some units initially using a combination of Mk VC, VIII, and IX."

...fun stuff, this!

Reply to
Rufus

...ok. After re-reading this, I'm afraid I have to amend my hypothesis. I read 2-3-44 as "3 Feb 1944"...when I should have read it as "2 March

1944", in keeping with the way dates are given in the rest of the entry.

This would have been *after* your Grandad flew it on 15 Feb 1944.

That being, I have to assume that EN582 was lost in combat on that date, and pray that your Grandfather wasn't at the controls...

Reply to
Rufus

Well done Rufus. Much more dedicated than me. :)

RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

Thanks. It was actually a very interesting dig...and keeping the memory of those whom rose to the call alive is always an honor.

Hope I got it right...

Reply to
Rufus

Well researched. I've been looking at the colour schemes, and on very brief research it looks like Dark Green/Ocean Grey over Medium Sea Grey,the Day Fighter scheme.

Squadron markings:

this thread in the Spitfire forums, though about post-war Spitfires in

73 Squadron, does give a bit of wartime history, and says that squadron code letters were not used, the chevron (seen in the picture linked above) was used instead. The individual aircraft letter, X in the above case, was still there.
Reply to
Alan Dicey