History question

Actually, two questions:

First, has anyone heard anymore about the proposed movie about Billy Fiske, the American millionaire killed in the Battle of Britain while flying with 601 Squadron, R.A.F.? The rumor was that Tom Cruz was being talked up for the role. Second, has anyone ever seen a reference to the code numbers on the Hurricane he was flying? I know it was s/n P3358, a Mk. I from Hawker's third production batch and 601 Squadrons assigned code letters were UF, but I need to know what the individual aircraft letter was.

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

Cruise has already started filming this movie from what I understand. Its a sorry shame though. He will be flying a late war Spitfire even though several museums and private collectors offered up real wartime Hurricanes or replicas. Cruise and the director turned them down because cruise wanted to fly a Spitfire. Also Fiskes record is going to get a boost. He was a great money hording millionaire but he was a lousy pilot. A few british pilots offered up several other Americans that were better pilots and had better records and did more for the cause but Fiske is going to get credit he did not earn with this movie. He was never an ace. He never shot down a single enemy airplane and in his final hours he died in a hospital from burns in a plane wreck....but hollywood is going to change that. He is going to die flying his plane into a horde of ME109s ....... Even during WW2 Hollywood could not get WW2 right. Its a shame....Oh well. Here is the link from the UK where his former flying mates even say this is BS

Dave

Reply to
Tanker