Hub Zemke's P-47B

Hi,

I'm working on making Hub Zemke's P-47B as he flew with the 56th in New York prior to their shipping out to England.

I have been lucky enough to find a color photo of his plane flying with a section of the 56th. Of the six aircraft in the photo only his plane has the medium green mottle along the edges of the wing horizontal and tail surfaces.

All the P-47Bs would have come from the same production lot, as Republic switched to the C almost immediately. So my curiosity has been aroused. Does anyone know why his aircraft had the mottle and the others don't?

Thanks,

Steve

Reply to
Rabbi

I don't know and the B&W shots I've seen don't show it. Are you working with the old Lindberg kit? I'm trying to upgrade mine at the moment in conjunction with all the other -47s here abuildin'.

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Mad-Modeller

Bill,

I'm working with the Academy P-47D Razorback. From everything I've read, the Lindberg kit isn't representative of any version of the P-47-simply something that looks like a P-47. Actually, this is a test run to prove the approach before I tackle the same mod on a 1/48 Tamiya kit. That kit is too nice-and too expensive-to chop up cold, and realize the mod doesn't work.

Steve

Reply to
Rabbi

Here's a how-to on removing the keel, which you'll need to do on a B, though I would use Apoxie epoxy putty instead of the superglue.

Reply to
starfusion

Thanks for that! Not only informative but entertaining as well! Cheers,

The Keeper (of too much crap)

Reply to
Keeper

Thanks Bob,