Way O.T.

Was at my favorite watering hole last night. A old WW2 Popeye cartoon came on. Popeye beats up Bluto, sinks the Japanese Navy and then takes Olive upstairs to a cheap hotel. Well enough, but the spectulative comment was not on the sailor's physical or sexual ablities but his rank or 'rating' as they say in the Queen's Navy. Some old salts said, with those forearms, he had to be a gunner or torpeado mans mate. Some said the same was found in bomb hangers on aircraft carriers...others said he was just a common swabbie and liked to j*ck off a lot...lots of laughs and good drinks went the course. Just thought I would share it with you guys. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

Sounds like a VFW or Legion Post. :)

Bill Banaszak, MFE

Reply to
Bill Banaszak

Since the original comic strip dated from the early 1930's (or late '20's), I strongly suspect that Popeye was drawn to represent a stoker, one of those hardy souls who shoveled coal into the ship's boilers for hours every day for decades. I've seen old photos of these guys, and their forearms really were freakish. With the advent of oil-fired boilers and later, diesel engines, this job disappeared, and so did the body type. Gerald Owens

Reply to
Lafimprov

Reply to
Mike Keown

I can't address your question specifically but IIRC the Mark IX didn't enter service until well after the Battle of Britain.

Reply to
Al Superczynski

IIRC the Spit IX came out long after the BofB. Spitfire Is and IIs, I think. Anybody?

Figure well over million $ for a flyable Spitfire. Our Yak-11 is relatively new (compared to a Spit) and it's insured for $800k.

Upkeep is another terifying story :-(

Reply to
Maiesm72

If you can find someone who will part with them . . . I'd start with over US$2m and then the rest. Some of the wrecks that have been bought for near that would make you cry . . If you're real interested I believe Duxford in England has an extensive Spitfire restoration book at the moment

Yeah, pretty soon the Merlins will go the same way as the Centaurus engines on Sea Furies - can't fix 'em,have to substitute. The Sea Fury's get away with another radial (P&W I think) but what can replace a Merlin ina Mk IX?

TSR2

Reply to
Freddy Nurk

there was a place in England where they actually make Spitfires, not restored, but brand new. This was a number of years ago, the price was well over a million$ and the a/c took 2 to3 years to complete. I know there is a guy in Texas who will make you a FW-190, but if I remember its not full scale. Any way it was just a dream Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

Mike,

There isn't anything wrong in dreaming.....who knows....it may come true someday....

Never lose the dreams!!!

(Besides, that's why I named my recumbent bicycle *Roscinante*. Two reasons, First, that's what Steinbeck named his camper in "Travels with Charlie". Secondly, it's the name of Don Quiotes horse, and there was a BIG dreamer.... And I have dream rides in mind on Roscinante.)

Eric

Reply to
Eric Ferguson

so like the u.s, the raf scrapped it all and gave history a hit in the shorts? didn't anyone think ww2 important? or were they so sick of it they dumped it all?

I suspect that line pretty well sums it up!

Bill Shuey

Reply to
William H. Shuey

A Griffon? They seem to be in somewhat better supply (from what I've seen in the tractor pulling world, where Griffons are fairly popular) because the RAF used the Shackletons for so long.

Reply to
Harro de Jong

If you just want one that looks right (rather than an authentic Spit), look up G-BRDV. This is a full-size replica.

" Wooden replica of Spitfire prototype K5054 (G-BRDV) originally owned by Clive Du Cros. Construction started in 1981 and first flew in 1991. Powered by a modified 5.7 litre V12 automotive Jaguar engine over 350 bhp. Hamilton Standard prop driven through a CSU and Weslake reduction drive. Unique rubber sprung oleo's and VW drum brakes inside genuine Spitfire wheels. crash-landed at Keevil Airfield, Wiltshire on 22 September 1997. There was damage to the prop, underside of aircraft, and fuselage structure but pilot was uninjured. AAIB report at

ownership of this Spitfire has now passed to the Southampton Hall of Aviation. Although this Spitfire no longer flies it can be hired for events around the country. It is used to promote the Museum and the history of aviation, as well as raising much needed funds to help support the Charity."

Reply to
Harro de Jong

like the commies in the 70's....tons of flyable german a/c. at least armor got saved.

"so like the u.s, the raf scrapped it all and gave history a hit in the shorts? didn't anyone think ww2 important? or were they so sick of it they dumped it all?"

Oh come ON! The Spit was a superb aircraft - of it's time! It just couldn't hope to compete with the up and coming jet fighters of the 1950's.

So where was the RAF supposed to store all the surplus Spits then?

Unfortunately, our UK climate isn't kind to aircraft stored in the open - no Nevada desert boneyard for us! Hangars would have been nice, but they'd still have to be climate-controlled!

I can't see the taxpayers of any sensible country shelling out to keep dozens of obsolete aircraft for nostalgia's sake...

However, there are more and more Spits being rebuilt and taking to the air, so all is not lost! The sound of a Merlin or Griffon still has me running into my garden with my binoculars - thankfully a fairly regular occurrence where I live!

Regards,

Chris

Reply to
Chris Hughes

Just yesterday, my wife and I were working around the house when we heard a deep, loud vibration. Up in the sky directly overhead was a Consolidated B-24 Liberator that had been visiting the Buffalo Airport along with a Boeing B-29. Truely a once-in-a-lifetime show, nowadays!

The Old Timer

Yep, Is & IIs.

Reply to
Edwin Ross Quantrall

the BoB as that is where the bird made her name... excuse me. Mike IPMS

Reply to
Mike Keown

As I recall, there was/is an outfit in Germany that will make you a full scale Fw-190....powered by a DC-3 engine/prop. You had the option to buy it with or without the powerplant.

Can't find them on the web now...maybe OOB. Keep on dreaming...

Reply to
Rufus

Wow...finally someone else who read "Travels with Charlie"! I thought I was alone, other than my classmates that were also forced to read it...

...and ditto - never stop dreaming.

Reply to
Rufus