AN/APS-13 Tail Warning Antenna

Anyone got any ideas of the approx dimensions of this thing? Looked all over, can't find squat on the sizes. Just the lengths of the emitter, reciever and reflector will suffice, I'm fitting one onto the base plate provided on the tail of my 48th Trumpeter Wyvern.

Thanks RobG (the Aussie one)

Reply to
RobG

First off its restricted.

Second, you're not an American.

Sorry. You know how defense info is....

though if this doesn't work, let me know:

Its the P-51 pilots manual on Google books, there are some other references on what the black box looked like, photos of the vaccuum tubes but that's a bit much.

I just did a search on an/aps13, there is some other info on it being used as part of the altimeter on the atomic bomb drop. It was pretty standard on a lot of USAAF aircraft in WWII. I assume it was shared with Allies in the conflict, but didn't see anything really quick in the web search.

From the photo in the manual, it doesn't look like much on the tail, probably could use some short pieces of fine wire, 4 on each side. It doesn't look really huge, there are some other model info stuff from IPMS with their models out on the web, but its not primary source stuff.

Since this is on a USAF F-51, I know the Aussies flew them in Korea, so if you needed better photos, they might have used it then, don't know. There could be some F-51 photos available down under to look at, or even one in a museum. I don't recall seeing them on any of the F-51s I've seen, but they've been rebuilt and reworked so much as warbirds, that's not saying much.

I saw more on the box and the wiring, it looked like a standard ancient wiring setup, so can't be too huge in the grand scheme of things on the tail. I'd guess half the length of your little finger would be about the size of the receiver / transmitter on the tail.

Reply to
frank