Any idea's chaps? (or chapessies!)

Whishing to construct a coal mine in 4mm scale. The book 'Modelling aspects of the Coal Industry' has plans of pit-head gear, which shows wheels of 6cm dia. I understand that these wheels were actually spoked as per a bicycle. Any idea's where I could get these from ? I know Walthers do a model of a coal mine, but I'm not aware of the diameter of the wheels in that kit

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

Yoda

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

Someone has produced an etched brass kit for pithead gear in 4mm, but sorry I cn't remember who.

Reply to
David Smith

In message , Keith J Patrick writes

I remember, many, many years ago, building an Airfix model of a Dennis fire engine. The wheels on the end of the ladder would be about the correct diameter, I think. There is one available via eBay (three actually, but this one is cheapest) :

item number 6027007067

Wheels are spoked, but not like a bicycle, though.

Reply to
Graeme Eldred

Pit head wheels were of various diameters, those on the lead mones were tiny, those on coal mines caried depending on the size of the pit head gear. Some mines had the pit head sticking out of the roof of the picking shed, which makes for a more compact model. In N I used spoked wheels intended for loco modellers in a larger scale, spoked but not overlapped as described but they looked okay I thought. Wheels for horse and cart modellers might do but I have not looked at thisein detail (Hobbies used to sell this kind of thing) Check out Beamish museum for a handy small coal mine

Mike

Reply to
Mike

Faller makes a kit of a North German one! You'd have to leave the shutters off the windows of the attached buildings. :-)

Reply to
Greg Procter

Or consider a 'drift' mine, there is a Pola (?) kit of the surface buildings for one of these just listed as 'coal mine' but has no pit head gear. Suitable for UK use in somewhere like Forest of Dean.

Mike

Reply to
Mike

"Sheaves" is good, usually refers to an idler pulley.

were

Reply to
Greg Procter

Here in blyth on the north east coast the council rescued one of the winding wheels of the batws pit (sunk mid 1930's closed mid 1980')

it has been mounted outside the council offices

approx 12' in diameter and is cast in two halves bolted together at rim amd hub. spokes are about 1.5" to 2" in diameter

Reply to
Andrew Carr