help needed - wheels for coal mine

I am modelling a coal mine in OO scale. Are there any suitable wheels for the top of the winding-gear available (prototypes are around 10 - 15 ft diameter, with about 30 spokes) . I have constructed the "legs" from polystyrene H-girders, but the wheels themselves are beyond my skills, I suspect. If anyone has scratch-built such a thing, of course, I'd be glad of any hints on how to do it.

Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

Suprisingly easy if fiddly, Mike has a picture of mine on

but unfortunately his site his giving a bandwidth exceeded message. Just cut couple of plastic outer 'rims' and inner ones. fasten down one of each in correct relative position with masking tape. Then lay wires (i used florists wire) as spokes between. initially glue wires down with superglue then fix/fill between with model filler. When complete put other platsic rims in place. Clean away excess filler. File curved profile in outer rim. Could send you a photo, much better than description.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Had just the same problem. I obtained an Airfix London Fire Brigade fire engine kit, the one with the 'escape ladder' and used the large wheels from that suitably grooved. As far as I could see, there were varying designs of the wheels (or 'sheaves'), some with interlaced spokes as per a bycicle wheel, but later ones had spokes more like more modern (1920's) car wheels.

Reply to
Keith J Patrick

I Think Malcolm at Wrightscale does them. I believe the correct name for them is sheaves. If you are in the Lanky area there is astley green colliery museum that still has some headgear up, and there is at least one outside Wigan college, Parsonage walk, Wigan.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Hi all,

anyone know where I would find a drawing for an LBSC/Southern Atlantic. (H2) I'm looking for a drawing suitable for huilding a model from, so it needs side/front/rear/... Magazine of book reference.

Regards, Greg.P. New Zealand.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Greg,

There's a drawing in the J.N.Maskelyne book - "Locomotives I have Known" - ISBN 0 85242 636 4 Percoval Marshall/Argus Books. There are side and end elevations to a peculiar scale of around 5mm:ft (to suit the page size of the book) but there is also a scale provided. There are also two pages of text with details of the class.

The book is well out of print now but I've checked on Google and there are a good few secondhand ones around. I could scan if you don't want the hassle of buying the book.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

The second batch - the superheated H2s - had a feature on them (including drawings) in the Railway Modeller within the last year or so. Suggest contacting them and sourcing the relevent issue.

Reply to
Andrew Robert Breen

I should have said that the subject of the J.N.M. drawing was also the H2 superheated variety.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Thanks - useful info. Nearer home for me, Woodhorn Colliery which has 2 sets of gear standing, and is the inspiration for what I'm building. I have also had a good look at the one at Washington F-pit and the reconstruction at Beamish Museum. Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

Thanks Simon. Very impressive model and very prompt reply. Duncan

Reply to
Duncan

Hi Jim,

if it's not too much trouble I'll take up your offer. I'll look for the Maskelyne book as well, but it could take a while to reach me - the scale doesn't matter as I can adjust that with the computer. It will become 3.5mm:1ft anyway as that's what I model :-) Not likely to find an HO drawing. (for Fleischmann Bullied coaches)

Was Maskelyne accurate with his drawings? Some of the older model draftsmen were a bit general with their lines.

Thanks, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Hi Andrew,

thanks for that. Railway Modellers reach us here in New Zealand so I can chase it via Peco or someone who collects it here in New Zealand.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

About 20 years ago, I drove all the way up the Rhondda Valley and didn't see a single pithead. It was green again!

Reply to
MartinS

Greg,

I've emailed a couple of PDFs to your inbox - I hope it doesn't stuff it since they are a bit large :-)

In the foreword his son makes a big point about the lengths that JNM would go to to make sure his drawings were accurate, and I suspect that he could have worked from official drawings from the level of detail he includes.

However, just the other day I did pick up that on another drawing he had drawn driving wheels with pin in line instead of pin between, so you might have to look out :-) Granted that I think we only became aware of driving wheel details when Mike Sharman and the P4 Society started publicising the details from the 1970s onwards - twenty years after JNM passed away. Up till then I suspect most of use chose the nearest Romford wheel :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

Hope these help :-

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

Hi Jim,

I found a copy from a local internet bookshop, so I've ordered it. Was surprised looking on Amazon and Abe books, British shops have it at = a =

much higher price than German shops! (c30 UK pounds vs c12 US dollars!) Still, as we have no idea what those currencies are going to be worth =

today, I ordered the New Zealand copy. :-)

I guess I don't worry too much about the smaller details like "pin on =

spoke" vs "pin between spokes" but I do like to actually know when I get= =

things wrong ;-) Wheels are always a problem as I model in HO scale - Romfords tend to ha= ve =

too few spokes. OTOH I've just bought a CNC rotary table for my milling machine, so I ca= n =

make my owm wheels.

Thanks for the PDFs. I think probably that's what is showing 19% downloa= d, =

up from 17% when I started typing this. =3D8^))))

Regards, Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.Procter

I recognise those plans1 Rob Johnson's modelling aspects of the coal industry from Book Law.

Looks so easy!

Reply to
Paul Matthews