Art board

I have made an earth-shattering discovery which, in the way of all my earth shattering discoveries, has undoubtedly been made by hundreds before me.

Art board is an excellent material for model building but it has flaws: it's very porous, if wet it expands and delaminates, and it tends to snag and tear. Solution: a thin coat of clear varnish. Simples! Except of course that the board then bends so... varnish both sides!

Suddenly I have boards which stay flat as I apply paint and scenic. I am happy. It also makes gluing much easier as the wetness of the glue does not cause the edges to pull paart or distort.

-- Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

What's wrong with Corn Flakes box's :¬)

Reply to
Trev

No one in our house likes cornflakes ;-)

Reply to
simon

Sometime when I was a small child which would be around 1960 I am sure that one of the cereal brands printed some carriages on their packets for a time. These could be cut out ,folded and glued to make a free standing" model". Not sure of the size but possibly 000 as Lone Star had introduced thier range in that scale.

G.Harman

Reply to
damduck-egg

Art board comes in various thicknesses. I'm just building an external staircase using 2.5mm thick art board as the tread, I' have had to build that up in several layers using Kellogg board.

Apart from that, not much. I'm not above using recovered board. The base of an old bed was covered with a sheet of 3mm art board, it has found many uses around the layout. Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

I used to work in a Hotel, and collected Lots of Foam board for free after Exhibitions Or from seating plans.

Reply to
Trev

Try shellac - works just as well and dries a *lot* quicker. Get the dewaxed variety if possible.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It was Weetabix, cant stand the sight or taste of the stuff. Not only a Loco but cars, lorries, buses and vans.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart

That was my thought but Before the sixties I would think. As I was in work by then

Reply to
Trev

In the early/mid 1950's Kellogs put on the back of their Corn Flakes packets pictures and details of the (then) new BR Standard steam loocomotives - as far as I can recall they covered one of ever class, with the sole exception of "Duke of Gloucester". I seem to remember they were quite good, they were certainly a decent size as the phots and text covered the entire rear of the packet. Can also remember asking my (log-suffering) mother to make sure the next packet she bought had a black engine, as we already had the "Britannia" and "Clan" examples.

David Costigan

Reply to
David Costigan

.
:

age

I now have a mental picture of your mother sitting on the floor of Tesco's with packets of Corn Flakes strewn all over the floor :-)

I can never recall tea cards with loco's on ...... but I AM well over

21 ! Chris
Reply to
Dragon Heart