BRC&W 110 to 104 - easy?

Just wondering about the above conversion, should there ever be a need for a suitable DMU on my layout (having sold my repainted/detailed Tri-ang Metro-Cammell one a while ago; maybe not such a good idea after all, but then it was a bit on the short side). At first glance it appears to be a doddle to make a 104 from Hornby's "Calder Valley" set; modify central windscreen panel to a full-height one, trim down

4-character headcode box to make the destination blind box, add 2-character headcode panel below central windscreen panel, add small louvres on cab end. Is it the "kitchen table" conversion it appears to be, or is the work a little more complex than that? Mind you, as my layout is set in the West Riding in the late 50's/early '60s, I could *just* get away with a 110 (introduced 1961) 'from the box'.... Another thought on DMUs - has anyone ever had a go at producing a Cravens unit from RTR Mk.1 coach parts (chiefly the Tri-ang/Hornby ones, which use a very adaptable 'modular' approach to construction)? These were, as far as I know, the only units to use the Mk.1 body profile and window/door styles.

Thanks in advance for feedback, David Belcher

Reply to
deb107_york

wrote

Hi David,

You might also wish to take a look at the proposed new model of a class 108 dmu scheduled for release this year by Bachmann.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

David

There is a Craftsman kit containing brass etches for the windscreens and White metal parts for various mods including the removal of the headcode box. I have one of these on my to-do list... The instructions (if I remember correctly) say that all the raised beading around windows should be removed for the 104...

Another point of note is that DC Kits have a 104 on their list of releases for 2006/7, although I wouldn't expect it to appear in the very near future - it's been on the way for 2 years already...

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B

In article , Adrian B writes

There is an illustrated article by George Dent in the February 2005 edition of Model Rail that shows how to create a Class 104 from the Hornby '110'. It involves fitting new cab ends and details (from Chris Leigh).

There is an accompanying article that details no-smoking compartments and colour schemes for both the 104 and the 110. I found it useful when detailing and painting the inside of a current Hornby 110 model which looks good when so detailed and passengers added etc. It also runs beautifully after addition of a Lenz Gold decoder.

I had intended to go the 104 route but as my layout is West Riding based will stick with the 110 and add the Bachmann 108 and the Hornby 101 later this year - hopefully .....

Reply to
Chris Moorhouse

I'm no great expert, but I thought the resulting model in that article bore only a passing resemblance to a 104. The etched fronts in the Craftsman kit look much more promising to me.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian B