Pete Waterman may sell Britannia

They had a website when I looked about 3 months ago, but I've lost my link. A proper survey and schedule of work was called for, which should have tested the team's competence to complete the job. I like these locos, and want to track down some manufacturers' drawings.

Cheers, Francis K.

Reply to
Francis Knight

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

If replica locos are going to be build from scratch, I think it would be much more interesting to create ones with no surviving relatives.

Andy

Can I add my tuppence ? I would vote for (and note I run standard gauge models and work on standard gauge full size!) a Kitson 2-6-4T as per the Leek & Manifold. Better still, running down the L&M Trackbed ! Now that would be a crowd puller I imagine ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

With an interchange to the CVR at Waterhouses no doubt!

Dave W.

Reply to
David Westerman

So "Doing The Locomotion" makes you "Happy, Happy, Happy"?

;-)

Reply to
Tony Polson

There cannot be very many people who wanted to see an A1 Pacific, given the inordinate amount of time it is taking to build - all because of a chronic lack of funding throughout the project.

Reply to
Tony Polson

actually

Or the amount of drawings that HAVE to be produced for the new boiler that then HAVE to be checked (independently), before the first bit of metal is even ordered.

Mr Polson, you seem to be a typical 'arm chair' preservationist, full of criticism whilst lacking any real knowledge...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

With an interchange to the CVR at Waterhouses no doubt!

Dave W.

Well, Yeah, Corse !

Andy

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

"Tony Polson" wrote

They've raised enough to finally let the contract for the boiler, which I believe is in itself over GBP250,000 worth.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I'd certainly second that. I seem to remember seeing photos of machines resembling the L&M ones (but bigger - perhaps 8-coupled) running overseas somewhere, perhaps India. If any of those had happed to survive, they might be used as a basis for an L&M replica.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Kirkham

And the tender, both of which are under construction with delivery to Darlington expected in 2006.

Reply to
Rich Mackin

After how many years, John?

Reply to
Tony Polson

"Andy Kirkham" wrote

I'd certainly second that. I seem to remember seeing photos of machines resembling the L&M ones (but bigger - perhaps 8-coupled) running overseas somewhere, perhaps India. If any of those had happed to survive, they might be used as a basis for an L&M replica.

Andy

Barsi Light Railway..

Check out

and let me know what you think of the site - I think there is a comparison photo of the locos on there ?

Andy Sollis CVMRD

- Home of the Churnet Valley Model Railway Department Remove the 4F from E-mail to reply

Reply to
Andy Sollis- Churnet Valley model Railway Dept.

Public launch meeting held November 1990 according to their website. AFAIR the name Tornado was selected as it would be a memorial to the pilots who died in the first gulf war.

Reply to
Nigel Emery

"Tony Polson" wrote

Too many Tony. However much I'd welcome seeing an A1 on the mainline I think the money could have been far better spent on other 'preservation' projects. After all it will only be 'yet another' steam loco on the tracks.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Pacific,

A dammed sight quicker period than many a Barry rescued hulk! It's well over 10 years since the last Loco departed Woodham's yard, whilst many of the ones that left 10 years before then are still not rebuilt...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

mainline I

'preservation'

Well, take that view and most of the loco's that have been saved since 1860 would have been best cut up!

The fact that people have to remember is, people give their monies to the projects they want to and just because project XYZ has been scrapped or failed it doesn't mean that those monies will be sent elsewhere [1] - those giving to the A1 project might well not give to another ex LNER loco let alone to (say) a ex GWR loco appeal.

[1] when I was actively involved in preservation I well remember monies having to be returned when on rescue attempt failed, due to another group challenging the reservation on 'our' loco, the donated monies were for that loco and that loco only even though we were still actively seeking funds for other loco's.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

":::Jerry::::" wrote

And this one's nowhere near finished either Jerry. How much longer is it going to be? Another five, ten or even fifteen years?

The money that's gone into this project could have helped finance some of those ex-Barry project and brought some genuine heritage locos back into working order, or for that matter helped to get some of the 'preserved' and historic forms of alternative traction back into use.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

It's

'preserved' and

See my other reply, but to recap, the problem is the money you talk about might well not be available to other loco's, many people give because they believe in a loco, not in a class (or in this case, general design).

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Does that mean that you want to see more preserved diesels John?

:-) Mick

Reply to
Mick Bryan

15 years on, and still no boiler.

The boiler might have been ordered, but there still isn't enough money to pay for it.

Reply to
Tony Polson