Running In

Hi, new to the group and have what I think is probably a basic question but I don't know the answer. Is it necessary and if so how does one 'run in' out of the box ready to run OO gauge locomotives. Hornby, Lima and the like. Many thanks

Nick

Reply to
Nick Dale

"Nick Dale" wrote

Never found the need to do this personally and the old Railway Modeller maxim *it will improve with running* really means the thing runs c#ap.

With modern manufacturing techinques the thing should run fine straight from the box, if it doesn't, then don't buy it.

John,

53A Models, Hull.
Reply to
John Turner

In message , John Turner writes

I quote from the exploded diagram of the Bachmann 56XX (which is conveniently to hand): Please note we would like to bring your attention to running-in which is necessary with this type of drive. Run for approximately one hour to allow working parts to bed in.

You sold me two of these locomotives, John. Are you saying I shouldn't have bought them?

Reply to
John Sullivan

They will run straight from the box.

I think the running in time is recommended because in the factory they probably just put a couple of blobs of oil or grease where needed and it will work its way into the mechanics as it runs.

If I buy something new, it usually gets a half decent run as soon as it's out of the box!

Peter Cheap Train Tickets:

Peter

John,

With new motors with carbon brushes, it usually takes a bit of running for the brushes to bed in properly to the commutator, so a bit of running in will improve things. And that running in will be better if it is done at lower voltages/currents to reduce any possible arcing on the commutator.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"John Sullivan" wrote

I seemed to recall testing both and they worked fine, so of course you should have bought them. ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

For about an hour if you remember correctly? :-)

Reply to
Chris Wilson

You should always try and see a model working before buying, that way yyou can see how well it works. I have found some do seem to improve with a little use after about an hour or so, but there is no pattern to make or model.

Reply to
piemanlarger