Wiring of Gaugemaster Transformer

I have a Gaugemaster T3 transformer (uncased) to power a CDU. The instructions for wiring are vague. I have indentified and conected the mains inputs, but the instructions say there is one 24V output, but I appear to have two pairs of two tags each pair outputting 12V!! Have I missed something obvious or could the transformer be at fault?

TIA

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

this means that it is a standard transformer with 2 secondary (output) windings each of 12 volts.

these are standard transformers and are mass produced in this way. they can be used in one of three ways

  1. two completely independent outputs of 12v

  1. connect them in parallel for one output of 12 volt at twice current

3 connect then is series for one output at 24 volt(which you are looking for)

I take it that you have 4 tags with the 2 on the left producing 12 volts and the 2 on the right producing the other 12 volts if this is the case then connect the two middle tags together and use the outer tags are the output.

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Carr

Martin,

You can get your 24V by connecting the two 12V outputs in series. The transformer is not at fault - they probably use this same transformer type to provide either two independent 12V feeds or one 24V feed (which can be centre tapped) - depending on the application.

What the instructions should stipulate is how you connect the two 12V windings correctly in phase so that you do get 24 volts out. Admittedly you have a 50/50 chance of getting it correct. If you do it one way and get the phases correct, you get 24V, if you do it the other, you get virtually zero volts - so you can find out empirically with a bit of care.

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

It's there to provide a +12v/-12v balanced power supply supply with centre rail at 0v which is needed for some electronic circuits. I *think* it originated with npn/pnp transistor output pairs? It was easier to arrange both either side a neutral line. Weird this, I can read circuit diagrams easier than I can read language :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Hi Andrew

Thanks for your reply, you were spot on about the four tags and the output. I will connect them up tomorrow and have another go. Just a shame they do not put this in their instruction sheet.

Thanks again

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs

Hi Andy

Tried what you suggested and works a treat.

Thanks very much.

Martin

Reply to
Martin Coombs