A/C to D/C conversion diode type?

Hello guys,

I read up on all the archived posts regarding the conversion that I could find.

I have a question regarding the diode selection for the fullwave bridge. I have come across standard recovery and soft recovery diodes that fall within my operating limits; my question is what is the difference in recovery and does it even matter? Which should I use?

Thank You

Reply to
flyrush

How fast are you planning on using them - low audio, audio, Radio, VHF, UHF, EHF... Fast recovery are needed so they can recover for the next alternation. If you are working with 60 or 50 cycles - then 16 ms or .o16 seconds is a bit long. However, I think most if not all diodes/rectifiers meet this hands down.

Another minor item is power drop. Just heat sink way more than needed so you always run cool and life will be good. Be sure to get PIV or PRV well over the peak voltage - 2x or 4x is good.

spend money on power and low leakage before paying for fast recovery. If it is cheap - or available in higher current... then go for it.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Thanks for the reply.

Is the term fast-recovery interchangeable with soft-recovery?

Mart> How fast are you planning on using them - low audio, audio, Radio, VHF, UHF, EHF...

Reply to
flyrush

The terms are different.

Fast-recovery is a fast turn-around ready for the next this or that. A slow recovery might miss cycles in a High frequency switching power supply.

A soft-recovery is something different. It is typically on SCR or thyristors and it refers to slow response - typically added capacitance - so transients of switch on or switch off are not generated. A step pulse might be powered out as a steep but not square edge. Now on the actual use of them - It decreases RF frequencies upon start/stop. It also is much much easier on motors. The mass of the rotor on the metal rod is the issue. Rapid movements can literally twist the rod/shaft into a screw. Consider it a easy goes - I'll get there in time.

Each have their use and need. Most data sheet indicates the intended use.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn @ home at Lions' Lair with our computer lionslair at consolidated dot net NRA LOH & Endowment Member NRA Second Amendment Task Force Charter Founder IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

So would it be wise to use soft recovery diodes to build the full-wave bridge? Considering a half sine wave is not square anyways? The only reason I'm considering them is because they are cheaper.

Reply to
flyrush

I think that it is fine, yes, but make sure to note that just adding a diode bridge does not make a nice DC welder yet. You also need added inductance and some way of making the voltage curve more flat (as opposed to just a rectified sinewave).

Ignoramus16643