Annoying welding problem

15psi is the edge of the safe zone. The danger of spontaneous combustion is really closer to 25 - 30psi. If it blows it will detonate the regulator., and blow the valve off the tank. Oh what fun.

Well pipe cleaners can work.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

Hi

The second point I will respond to is more important than the first point. I don't think you will have a happy time trying to improvise around not having a nozzle size. For the expense and effort so far and you hopes for the future with projects done and doing good service, I would have thought the expense of buying a (Victor?) #3 nozzle is has to be worth meeting. Surely that's not by a vague margin of consideration

- you strongly want one...?

It only applies when you are in a borderline case between the nozzle sizes I believe, when can then split the difference between a hard #(n) flame or a soft #(n+1) flame.

I would have thought you are setting yourself up for a miserable time. Consider the cost so far and the further cost of the project against the cost of a nozzle, then consider the miserable hours you are going to have and work out whether it is worth it.

??? - again I look with interest to see how these comments play out when considered by the truly expereinced people here.

Richard Smith

Reply to
Richard Smith

If only the Mythbusters guys would put it to the test.

Regards,

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

It will be some weeks before I can order one as right now I'm barely over the poverty line ;). As it goes, I have another #2 Victor original tip whose orifice got damaged (got oval shaped). I wonder if enlarging the orifice up to #3 and running it with #3 pressures would be doable and useful, or just another worthless undertaking?

Mongke

Reply to
mongke

I used to work in the BOC Gases R&D labs. The older guys remember some fascinating stories from the "old days" when it was the Airco Welding labs. They were experimenting with "high pressure acetylene" piping. Supposedly, the gas would decompose at places in the plumbing, such as sharp bends, and then reform after the bend. Pieces of plumbing glowing red hot were the result, but you could still use the gas if the pressure was reduced correctly just before the torch. Sounds really scary, which is perhaps no "high pressure" systems ever saw commercial use.

-- Bob (Chief Pilot, White Knuckle Airways)

I d>

Reply to
Bob Chilcoat