anyone weld bandsaw blades?

what is the technique..have tig equipment..what type of rod,preheat, etc..?

Reply to
zac

You might want to look up the April 18th, 2004 thread here entitled "bandsaw blades".

Use Google groups search.

The above must all be on the same line to work.

Several ways (including TIG) are discussed.

Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Jeff Dantzler

Reply to
Phil

Hi Phil, This question seems to come up quite often. If you've got some pictures and an explanation, I can post this on WeldingFaq.com so folks can refer to it from time to time.

Larry

'Web Guy & Hobbyist Welder'

Reply to
Larry

Bandsaw blade blade welder is easiest way to weld bandsaw blades.Even made in china blade wleder is expensive. Here is a web page selling a bandsaw blade welder powered by 12V battery.

Should be easy to make your own copy.

Reply to
R. Duncan

Very interesting indeed.

Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler

wrote: (clip) Here is a web page selling a bandsaw blade welder powered by 12V battery.(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^ Why do you suppose they require you to observe polarity on the battery cables?

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Probably because the company buys the cables. I would suppose that whomever makes the cables doesn't have much of a demand for two blacks or two reds on one cable.

Shawn

Reply to
Shawn

Maybe there is some electronic stuff in there - just not a starter solenoid. Could be a switcher for a high voltage spike to get things rolling.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

"Shawn" wrote: (clip) Probably because the company buys the cables. (clip) "Martin H. Eastburn" wrote: (clip) Maybe there is some electronic stuff in there(clip) ^^^^^^^^^^ If Shawn is right, the the OP ought to be able to build such a welder without too much difficulty. If Martin is right, then it may become a little more complicated.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I suggest that a Ford auto type of starter coil that is controlled by 12 V and then witches the high current - use battery charger or larger wire inside... Use lugs or make one out of thick soft copper.

I figure if a starter coil on the side panel will start a 1955 Ford when it is cold - It should melt and weld the ends.

The coil keeps the requirement of 100 amps or so off the push button. Ok - you don't have to use a FORD one - but Chevy IIRC, put them inside the starter... Maybe a John Deer :-) I bet a farmer thought of it 50 years ago anyway... :-)

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn