cable lengths

I have the basic Lincoln 40-200 amp AC stick welder, 220 volt input, with 25 foot cables I think. Unfortunately my only 220 outlet is the one I use for my dryer, in the basement. Now I want to weld outside. Simple as it is to add an outlet up in the garage, my box is full and I'd like to avoid that. Should I a) get an extension for the power cord or b) extend the actual welding cables to 50-100 ft? Seems like the power cord extension is better because it keeps me closer to the welder controls and avoids losing power through the cables. But cheap is the priority. My wife thinks the welder was a waste of money in the first place. Which way should I go, and what is the maximum length I can go either way?

Reply to
Barney

"Barney" wrote: (clip) My wife thinks the welder was a waste of money in the first place. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ There's your REAL problem.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

When I was faced with the same problem, I opted for a longer extension cord. A welder on a cart is easier to move around than stringing cables all over. Plus, cables can short, and they may be back towards the welder where you can't see them shorting out. Go to an electrical supply place and see if they have any sections laying around that they will sell at a discount price. Be sure to tell them what you are going to use it for, so they can suggest the right gauge wire, and even go a size higher for safety.

Lengthening cables cause power drop, too. And I believe that it is cheaper to make up an extension cord than go buy welding cables and connectors.

As per your wife, be sure if you do any cash jobs you give her a cut so she can get her nails done, or whatever she wants to do with the money. Women's attitudes change in 1.006 seconds when money is generated by a welding machine.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

ROTFLMAO !!!!!

Visit Family Court .

Ed

Reply to
0_Qed

With '110vac', on wet/damp earth ... driveway, damp concrete floors ... you may get bitten , but still remain standing ...

With '220vac' ... similar scenario ... dont play "games" ... screw around .

Start at the 'box' , get a proper sized breaker, wire to the amps required , and ... get an 220 GFI block/breaker ... a bit pricy ... but. Else ... make sure you have 1st++ class health Ins, or a burial fund.

Let 'loose' ...

220 aint yer friend ... NFW.

Ed.

Reply to
0_Qed

Make or repair something for her that would be expensive otherwise. She'll change her tune. It worked for me.

Reply to
John L. Weatherly

Long extension cords whether on the primary or secondary are a pain. If your ideal location for your machine is in the garage, first see how much it would cost to put in an improved service especially if you or a friend have some DIY knowledge. Another option which can reduce the cost is to replace 4 breakers with special "doubled-up" (I don't know the proper term but they exist) breakers in your panel if available for it. They put 2 breakers in the place of 1 breaker. This would free up 2 slots to run 220 to your garage. Billh

Reply to
billh

Another option which can reduce the cost is to

Duplex(sp?) if I remember correctly

Reply to
Doug

Reply to