Cast Aluminum

Can cast aluminum be TIG welded? If so, how is it done? The material is about an eighth of an inch thick. Any advice would be appreciated!
Harry
Most cast aluminum can be TIG welded. If your trying to repair a crack or broken piece, fit the two pieces together and use a grinder or rotary file to gently shape the crack or seam between the broken pieces into a " U " or " V " shape. Clean the seam and the area to be welded with a _clean_ wire brush and then Acetone or denatured alcohol.
Use 4043 Aluminum alloy for your filler rod. This is readily available at most welding supply shops. Set your TIG machine according to manufacturers process specifications for aluminum 1/8" thick. If you have a pulse TIG I would use it. You want to use only the amount of heat necessary to create a weld puddle. Try to keep the HAZ as small as possible.
It should fill in pretty well. The 4043 runs in nicely into most cast pieces that I've repaired. Just take your time and don't get the piece too hot.
Thanks, James Walsh Jr. http://www.jigsawcustoms.com

Good advice, but try to find some 4047 aluminum for better luck on cast aluminum. It has twice the silicon content of 4043, so less shrinkage, better wetting and a lower melting point.
Thanks for the responses guys. I knew I was posting to the right place! I'll try it out and let you guys know how it works.
Harry

Well, it worked okay. It acted just like other aluminum and it did fill in nicely. I could not find any 4047(my local did not have it), so I used the 4043 that I had here. It did not turn out real pretty but I ground/filed it down fairly flat anyway. It was a freebie for a buddy anyway. Thanks again!
Harry