Cutting with 6011 at 200 amps AC - followup report

I've had a chance to experiment some more with cutting using wet 1/8"

6011 at 200 amps on an AC welder (no DC available, so can't use 6010). I continue to be pleased with the quality of cut -- not that it is great, but it is far better than expected, with edges that mostly look *cut* rather than simply melted. I've had a chance to experiment some more and wanted to report my findings:

1) It seems to work best if I "push" the rod rather than dragging it (opposite of the normal SMAW technique). It works pretty well cutting flat; it works even better cutting downhill vertically. In either case, I hold the rod at about 30-45 degrees leaning back from the direction of travel, start the arc and let it dig through (with a little push as well), and then push into the direction of the cut, keeping the tip just at or even a fraction below the surface of the metal. (Naturally, in either case, the piece is held above the table in a vise; otherwise I would be welding to and/or cutting the table! Also, one does need to think about where the super-hot molten bits are going to fall ...) Here is an attempt at ASCII graphics: workpiece | / rod cut direction / rod | /

Reply to
Andy Wakefield