DIY resistance welding?

"have to" is a strong word. But you've got to pump a *lot* of current, and long cables will get both very heavy and very expensive very quickly.

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

RoyJ

I just stuck together 2 crossed pieces of 6mm rod. They were stuck fairly well but I did get the weld area to fail when I held one in a vise and twisted the other to try and align the pieces, probably do for a spice rack though. That may have been an issue with the material which was I think EN16T which I had to hand. I'll try and redo the test with some mild steel and round and square for interest sake and post back. The spot welder is a 240V handheld unit, spec plate says 2kVA conventional, 11kVA welding , 7000A.

Reply to
David Billington

What's that Lassie? You say that Steve B fell down the old sci.engr.joining.welding mine and will die if we don't mount a rescue by Mon, 12 Apr 2010 21:07:04 -0700:

What ???

That is what we are discussing.

Reply to
dan

In college we had (late 60's) an RF or radio frequency driven spot welder. The hole unit could fit in a suit case - ours on the top of a 24" x 24" lab table.

We used it to spot sheet metal for various jigs and projects. The many many many strand wire was over an inch in diameter. It was a foot feed clamp on it - so you could hold two parts with hands.

Mart> steamer writes:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Remember the metal inside and out should be clean - to lower resistance and allow positive weld in a spot.

Mart> Steve B wrote:

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn