Fan - Suck or Blow?

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

'Sfunny - I don't remember either a belt or a fan on my '65 'Vair.

IIRC, The 160 HP turbocharged Corsas had one but not either the 85 hp (like mine) or the 140hp.

Reply to
RAM³

Oh, yeah. Now I remember the VW fan inside that cover in the back of the engine. A fan on an air cooled engine. Sounds like overkill to me, but those VW engines ran and ran and ran. You could soup them up pretty good, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Apparently no appreciable addition as CAT lists both a "pusher" and a "puller" fan for most of their engines. Remember that from the engine's point of view the outside of the block is relatively cool. And, as you aren't exactly thundering down the road with a D-9 ram air is not a factor.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

Of course they do/did. Just like a Briggs & Straton or any other air cooled engine (excepting some motorcycles).

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok

-snip-

Here's one-

Loved mine. 1965 black with white ragtop. Only had it for a couple years- 71-2.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Contacted the owner right after I got it, and he said, "Doors? What doors?" But then, he had trouble finding his way back from his garage to his house after our talk. 86, and onsetting blindness and Alzheimers. What a combination!

I've seen them for sale at ridiculous prices, and I'd just have some sheared and bent before I would pay what someone wants. I have a good fabricator in Vegas that could do it. However, on the passenger side of the engine with the work table, the panel would have to be creative to work and get past the table.

Will try Craigslist. They are remarkable some times, and a total dud at others.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

They all had the fan. The belt came off the crankshaft and one side bent

90 degrees over the generator pulley and the other side over an idler pulley and then it was horizontal to drive the top of the fan. I think that the '66 had an alternator. The fan was mostly under a shroud on the top of the engine, between the carbs.

I had a '61, '62 and '66. The '66 was a 110 HP four speed. I don't remember what the horsepower on the '61 and 62 were, but 85 sounds right. I bought the '62 with a broken crank for the price of the (new) battery that was in it. I bought the 61 wrecked. The 62 had a two speed automatic transmission in it and I swapped out the 4 speed, clutch and shift linkage from the the 61 and rebuilt the motor.

It was a good learning experience for a 16 year old kid. I learned a lot about fixing stuff correctly or you get to walk from those cars.

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. BobH

Reply to
BobH

A friend of mine had a Corsa. Maybe that's why I recall a belt on there. Am I right, though, that you could see vanes through a round hole on the top of the engine? And I thought the Corsa was 180 hp. Will Google now that I have to double check some dead brain cells. That was a long time ago ................

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

-- Loved mine. 1965 black with white ragtop. Only had it for a

Is that a fan I see ................. ?

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

"BobH" wrote

Another friend had a yellow Spyder. It was cool. He was the kind of guy who would wash it for fun.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Actually..yes to both. Very much so.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

VDubs..yes indeed.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner

Aircooled VW certainly did have fans & a thermostat to boot. The thermo controls the internal ducting flaps in the fan housing

Back to Steve's post. Some modern cars have a blower fan on the exterior face of the rad, two off the top of my head are BMW & Mercades (SP) Vito vans. I can't actually help other than that, sorry

*goes back to lurking*
Reply to
Balders

> -- Loved mine. 1965 black with white ragtop. Only had it for a

Yeah it is-- right where you remember it. [and I don't know if that is a true serpentine belt-- but it sure took some turns- and was a 'joy' to replace.]

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

BobH wrote in news:d2454$4828f9ad$8c631746$ snipped-for-privacy@news.deru.net:

Well, I can see that I didn't remember correctly.

My '65 4-door hard-top was, essentially, a bottom-of-the-line with the lowest-powered engine, vinyl seats, 3-on-the-tree, _no_ A/C or other goodies except a radio and heater.

Except for a failed oil-pressure sending unit [it sent oil spurting all over the engine compartment], the only _real_ problem I had with it was the throw-out bearing.

It would grind out its seat and, if it weren't for the synchronizer, I'd have had even more difficulty shifting.

While all of the '65s had the same basic 164 cid engine size, that year the Corsa engine was 164 hp. and lesser-powered engines of 140, 110, and

85 hp. were offered.

Other than the bearing seat problem - the reason that I finally sold it in late '69 - it was a great car and, looking at old photos of mine, would be considered stylish today.

DAMN RALPH NADER!!!!!

Reply to
RAM³

"SteveB" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.infowest.com:

Would sliding flat panels work?

Reply to
RAM³

Two things I remember most about the Corvairs.

They a blast to drive, handled like a go-cart.

The engines could fall completely out.

My mom and I were headed for a doctors appointment one morning when we came upon a complete Corvair engine, sitting upright in the middle of the outside lane of a four lane city road. No car in site. But as we crested a small hill and dropped down to a traffic light at the next intersection, here sat a Corvair with is ass clearly 10" too high, and a very well dressed lady acting like she had no clue why her car wouldn't start. Looked like a Candid Camera skit. We though she was going to faint when we told her the engine was two blocks back.

I hear it happens occasionally to V-dubs too.

Reply to
Maxwell

Yeah, I just took a quick look upon pulling up in the driveway tonight after a quick trip to Vegas today and back. Plus, you have to arrange the air filter because there is a piece of that sticking out that would affect a panel fitting there. I'd probably just put them on pins and lift them out. Use the hood pin type of arrangement on top.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Except the #4 cylinder (IIRC) that heated enough to burn the exhaust valve frequently.

Air cooled engines won't cool without air.

Reply to
Bob F

It's #3 that burns out sometimes. The Ign is retarded slightly on this cylinder to improve matters.

Front of car

3 1 4 2 Back of car

My daily hack's a '75 Bug. My Van ('78 Bay window) is now powered by Subaru :D

Reply to
Balders