FOLLOWUP -- Re: Welding on a truck

I did weld it on. I first welded the hinge back to the body. A part of the hinge was missing from around where it failed, so I filled that
area with weld a little. Then I welded a 3/16" patch, about 6 inch long and 1-1.5" wide (tapering shape), to the hinge and the round area where it pivots. I think that it is now far stronger than it ever was. I used 7018. I feel that the weld would be unlikely to fail first in case of abuse.

Getting the hang of the 7018, are ye? Once you get the hang of it, it's a heck of a rod.
Right?
Steve

Right. I regret not having taken the pictures. I will do so when he stops by.

Welds themselves almost never fail if it's a good weld. The weld is stronger than the metal itself. The failure is almost always the metal right near the weld. That means what you should do is reinforce the area where the hinge is attached. Welding some plate to the gate where the hinge is attached will make it a lot stronger and as mentioned it wouldn't hurt to have more than two hinges per gate either.
Hawke

One can also make yer own full/ custom length hinges using rod + pipe or differing diameters of tube.