Graffiti with welding rod

I made a few attempts yesterday to write letters with welding rod, just for fun (using that Hobart 650-RVS). I used 1/8" 6013. The results were readable, but not really great, in some places the beads were taller than in others etc. Other than practice, are there some tricks to it such as using different rod or something like that?

Reply to
Ignoramus21542

Run it cold so you get a convex bead, but it is hard to maintain an arc.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

[slapping self on forehead]

OK, this is great. I would think that for a welder with high frequency, it could help maintain the arc.

Reply to
Ignoramus21542

Running HF through a stinger is not a real good idea. The insulation on the electrode holder is not designed for HF. Every welder manual I have looked in (that has HF) has specifically said not to use HF with a stinger. Others may disagree, but I really hate getting shocked.

BobH

Reply to
BobH

I will try in the class in 10 minutes...

Reply to
Ignoramus21542

Not sure about high freak, but every Lincoln book I have ever seen has low amps with a pretty round bead sitting on top of the metal. Perfect for lettering, but not for welding. Seen it many times on top of public service covers that was downright purty stuff, done by someone with a steady hand.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I recently acquired a small plasma cutter, and I have been practicing doing lettering and calligraphy with it. My main problem is that the way you make strokes with the plasma torch is completely different from the technique using a pen. So...practice, practice, practice. But it looks promising.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I use "stub saver" stingers, and often use HF, havent been bit yet in 10 yrs.

but Im careful as hell about where the end of my stick is.....

This style

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this dist..." Maj. Gen. John Sedgewick, killed by a sniper in 1864 at the battle of Spotsylvania

Reply to
Gunner Asch