Ground rod question

No, since the very or extremely thin layer might explode or vaporize. It acts as a fuse.

The sold ones are more than a e.t.l. of metal. The measure would be in so many circular mils of metal. Acting like a solid wire that melts. The steel acts as a strong holder for a conductor.

I've consulted with about 8 or 9 power companies and two are huge in size.

Martin

Mart> >

Martin H. Eastburn

Actually Ed is not far off but missed himself.

Current density for all points on a cross section of A is j=i/A

However since the resistivity of material varies greatly, the current flows in the copper.

The skin is the thin plating on the steel rod that every house has pounded into the ground near the power meter.

What messes up the even density in a solid copper rod (we don't have) is that of the electromagnetic field that drives the current outward. So the real density is loaded at the outer edges and this process really takes place in massive form in RF.

TV's are fed by an antenna. The antenna is fed by a air core coax. The central wire is a tube. No reason for using copper that electrons won't go. This makes the coax a little more flexible.

28 cycles that was intended to be used on Navy ships - with large iron transformers acting as ballast actually tunnels to the center of the conductor. An arm placed across two power posts will have the marrow burnt out. The Navy aborted the experiments.

Martin

Mart>> >>

Martin H. Eastburn

Martin H. Eastburn

In my case, a ground rod required next to the incoming 500Amp (large building) electrical service.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

Because they would create a tripping hazard, and you are not supposed to have a ground like that right in front of the panel where you would make contact while resetting a breaker.

Simple solution - bury the conduit to the ground rod off to one side a few feet, and put the clamp below grade in a plastic or concrete handhole. You can order it with "Ground Rod" on the cover.

And if they ever pave the area, they just raise the handhole up a bit to sit at finished grade, and then it's always accessible.

NOTE: On new homes they just make a "UFER Ground" bond to the steel in the footing. Much neater, as it's all hidden in the wall.

-->--

Reply to
Bruce L. Bergman

Just had a talk with an Australian "Sparky", a licensed professional electrician for probably 50 years. He tells me that according to Australian code the ground to any building entrance (I'm using U.S. terminology here) is the same size wire according to Australian code. He gave me the wire code but as it is not AWG or metric I have no idea what the actual size is, other then he said it was larger then normal wiring in the building.

Bruce-in-Bangkok (correct Address is bpaige125atgmaildotcom)

Reply to
Bruce in Bangkok