Harbor Freight HF MIG and TIG/Stick experience: great buys !

Picked both up yesterday @ local (Brick NJ) store. Split the 2 between self and a friend - with the idea that we'd borrow them from e.o. when needed.

- I ran a 240V 20A circuit in my garage a while back, for a heat treating oven I made. Came in real handy as both are 240V units. Plugs are about $6 at HD, may be cheaper elsewhere

- MIG: the wirefeed mechanism needs work - before you start using it. Lift the cover, unscrew the 4 screws that hold assembly that covers the incoming cable.

You want to make sure that reddish plastic pipe that the welding wire feeds through is held tight by the said cover. Applying few turns of ET to the tip of the pipe will do the trick. Put the cover back on, tighten up the screws.

Keep the red plastic pipe as close to the black bottom roller as possible.

The idea is to limit unsupported/uncontained runs of the wire, so it doesn't fold under the pressure.

If you dont fix it, here's what happened in my case: the reddish pipe gets pushed in under the pressuse of the wire, the wire is no longer supported, it immediately crumbles and breaks and it is a mess from there.

Also - you want the pressure on the upper roller tight enough for the wire to be fed at the right speed (no slippage on the driven, lower black wheel). It it should light enough so it does slip when serious resistance be encountered.

Also - make sure to switch polarity of the ground/torch wires on the inside, when using Flux vs Gas welding - as the diagram illustrates.

- TIG welder - tried both stick and TIG and it is flawless. Although the manual says that no tungsten electrodes are included, mine had about 3"-long 1/16 one in it, sharpened @ both ends.

When you turn the TIG on, it actuates the solenoid valve and lets some gas to flow, for 3-4 secs - a nice test . It keeps the gas flowing for a few secs after you stop welding - to protect the puddle/bead, so don't move that torch away from the puddle too quickly.

- Wiring: both units have green wire as ground wire. I verified with a tester - I highly recommend you do the same, just to be safe. The other

2 are hots. Again - these are both 240V units.

Overall , TIG gets 10 out of 10, and MIG gets 9er ... that wire feed mechanism sure got me.

Also bought HF's solar-powered auto-darkening welding helmet - A+ ! Works like a champ and everything is adjustable .

To continue with HF theme: I also own mini mill, mini lathe, 4x6 metal bandsaw and all of them are fine tools, assuming the money I paid for them !

PS - don't try those welders out with shorts on, like I did. I hope it will turn into a nice tan :)

Reply to
rashidk