how to set fires in your shop - cutting oil barrels

ok, Do i Have you attention? good. I need a new burn barrel and have procured one. problem is that it had some type of vegtable oil (from a food plant) and the only good tool I have to cut it is my arc welder.

so, what do I have to sorry about? whats the best way to go about this? labeled as "triple rinsed" but i still think there might be some flamambles in there.

I'll be cutting it outside, in a good breeze. I dont think i'll have any issues but would like some tips

Reply to
Tater

A cold chisel makes fast work of the top or if you have an air supply then put a chisel point on your impact gun. Ride the chisel around the inside of the rim and it will cut much like a can opener does. I then go around hammering on the inside sharp edge while bucking with a heavier hammer on the outside. Randy

so, what do I have to sorry about? whats the best way to go about this? labeled as "triple rinsed" but i still think there might be some flamambles in there.

I'll be cutting it outside, in a good breeze. I dont think i'll have any issues but would like some tips

Reply to
R. Zimmerman

Cold chisel, a small sledge and 15 minutes of your time. Noisy but worry free. I've knocked out four burn barrels that way. It goes pretty fast.

Reply to
Mike H.

"Mike H." wrote: Cold chisel, a small sledge and 15 minutes of your time. Noisy but worry free. (clip) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Be sure to wear hearing protection.

Reply to
Leo Lichtman

Chisels, hammers, jeez... Manual Labor was a mexican general in my book...

Just fill it with water to within an inch (2.5 cm) or so of your burn line... Not enough volume left to be an explosive risk...

denny

Reply to
Denny

Fill it full of water before you start.

Veg oil would take some lighting anyway, and if you're going to use it as an incinerator, just punch some holes and light a fire underneath to burn out whatever's in it.

I got a barrel a couple of years ago which had contained white spirit (turpentine substitute), I cut a 12 inch square in the top with an angle grinder, then dropped a lit cloth in the top and waited 20 minutes 'til it had extinguished.

Admittedly, I was definite of exactly what was in the barrel, and how easy it was to ignite, which you aren't.

I'd be worried about what the barrel has been rinsed with. Water won't remove oil, and solvents are more likely to go *BANG* than the oil.

Reply to
bigegg

Reply to
Wayne Cogdill

I learned this trick on the picket line one night....

Load up the barrel with stuff and light it up. With the claw of a hammer or other handy implement, poke whatever hole you can in the side near the bottom bottom. After awhile it gets hot around the hole, so poke another one. Before too long you're all the way around the barrel.

Doing it at night is best as you can see when the barrel starts to glow, meaning the steel is soft enough to punch holes in it.

Punch too many holes and you _will_ melt the barrel down... Learned that, too!

Reply to
Carl McIver

UH WHAT ???!!!

Reply to
Mike H.

Tater asked about removing a steel drum head and to this say: Northern Tool and Equipment sell a drum deheader for 40 bucks.It looks like A big can opener. If A guy does this kind of thing often it probably is cheap insurance against possible disaster.

H.R.

Reply to
harleyron

If you can't smell much, it's almost certainly ok to have at it with a gas axe. But you'll get a neater finish, just as fast with a cold chisel and a hammer. It really is easy to take the top out of a 45 Gallon (55US) with a sharp edge and a hitting stick. Try it and you will be impressed.

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

heh, I would love to say that in my haste to get a burn barrel, I ignored all your posts and now live in a pile of ashes.

I really think i worry way too much.

had corn oil in it, got the arc welder running, and cut the lid off. bit of a smell but not much, no risk of flame. went VERY fast, and left a fairly nice edge, depending on my steadiness on the stick.

i love my hobart stickmate lx

Reply to
Tater